1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother and His GF having relationship problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kresukun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kresukun

I am over-hearing a conversation between my younger brother and his GF, he is saying these really worrying stuff and I honestly don't know what to do without getting too involved. He is 17 and threatening to run-away just so he can be with her. He is constantly saying sorry to her and saying stupid stuff that he wouldn't normally say. Is there anything I can do?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, without more detail about what he's saying, it's hard to say too much about how to respond. If you're genuinely afraid he might do something like run away to be with her, though, try just talking to him about it. You didn't intend to overhear, if I'm reading your post right, so you don't need to apologize for eavesdropping. But maybe if someone he knows is willing to help him out with the situation, or at least lend some support in the short term, he won't feel like he needs to do anything drastic.

3. Bryar Thorne

I really don't want to worry you but this sounds a lot like the beginning of the relationship I am currently in. I made the choice to run away with my boyfriend (as a girl) when I was 18. It was the biggest mistake of my life because now I'm almost 22 and just now getting on with things after having a hard time coming back to Cali.

I would say that Gravity is right. Lend your support to him as best as you can. I know that had I had someone supportive and with more insight than I, I likely wouldn't have picked running away like I did. My parents were totally not supportive of my relationship with him and that just made me want to leave more. He may be in a place where he feels like only she knows and understands him, so just being there for him is likely something he might need right now.

About the eavesdropping, if you're uncomfortable with saying you were, you could always just say you overheard him or were worried about him because he is making threats to run away. I think maybe just hearing you are there for him would ease his worry about you listening in.

Just my two cents, I hope it helps. :slight_smile: