1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if you couldn't make your partner happy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Thegreatperhaps, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Thegreatperhaps

I'll keep this as brief as possible because I'm in desperate need for help. Alright so I'm in the closet to my family (well, my adult relatives). I'm not only not allowed to date a BOY, I can't imagine my father's reaction to finding out I'm dating a girl. Oh boy. Anyways, so my relationship with my girlfriend has been tough this summer. Apart from the trips I've taken, we haven't seen each other very often because I'm not allowed very much freedom to see "friends." But 99% of the time I've been allowed to go out, has been dedicated to her. She wanted to see me tomorrow but I started thinking and I can only assume that eventually everyone will begin to wonder where my other friends disappeared to. So I told her that I needed to be a bit more careful. Basically me lightly putting that I didn't want to hang out tomorrow. This didn't go too well.
    Throughout the course of maybe two-three months, she's made comments like "I feel like your last choice. I don't feel like you try at all. I don't feel wanted. I feel like shit." Then comments like "I'm tired of this. I can't keep doing this anymore."
    Basically a lot more has been said but they've slipped my mind. What I'm trying to say is I'm more convinced she's unhappy than actually happy with me. And it's totally understandable. She's a friend of mine to my family. She tries so hard to make plans but it's so complicated with most of my family being here to visit on vacation and not being allowed to go out much. I truly try as much as I can. And it's not enough. Not because she's selfish, but it wouldn't be enough for anyone really. Unless they were in the closet too.
    I love her very much. More than I can express. But it pains me to hear how unhappy she seems. How can I endure the pain of knowing she doesn't feel important enough for me. OH and she's told me she cries of loneliness sometimes. Gosh. It makes me feel so upset to know I made her feel this way. I know she'd never want to be the one to end things, so Im beginning to think I should. I care about her happiness more than mine, and I don't know if I have anything else to give her to fill up the loneliness. I've shown her parts of me I haven't before. I came out to my school for her. I came out to my grandma and cousins for her. I pushed many buttons to go out on dates or have her over. There's just not much more I can do for the next year since I'll still be a senior and I don't want to cause her to be depressed.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? :c I'd appreciate as many perspectives as possible. Thanks so much guys.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a couple thoughts while reading your post -

First of all, and I may be wrong about this, but it sounds a little bit like her comments about being lonely and such are being made to manipulate you. Again, this may not be the case, and even if it is the case, she may not realize that she's doing it. But you say that she won't break up with you, but it constantly expressing to you how lonely she is and how the time she's getting with you isn't enough. If her goal isn't to break up with you, then it must be for something else - presumably getting more of your time (which, in any event, you seem to acknowledge is a fair request).

Second, from the reverse perspective, she seems to be expressing pretty clearly to you that she feels less important than she could, and giving you a chance to make a difference in that respect. In some ways, this is the main difficulty of dating while in the closet - I'm assuming she's out, and in that case, you have a personal/social obligation to remaining closeted (at least to your family) that she doesn't share.

Now, that's not to say the relationship is doomed, but if you think her requests are fair ones, it might not be a bad idea to try to figure out ways to express your feelings to her more clearly and more often. Maybe you can't hang out on one particular night, but perhaps you could schedule a time during the week to get together (it's not unusual to go out on a Friday night, right?). Or there are other things you could do. Small, spontaneous presents or cards, for one. Reaffirm your feelings for her and why you value her as a partner every so often - maybe a heartfelt voicemail/call, or even a text here and there (but don't rely on text messages as a primary method of communication). Similarly, if she's feeling lonely and downbeat, maybe she could also explore things to do with herself, or with friends, that would make her feel a bit more active and satisfied, and less lonely between your times together.

Even if you can't hang out, try to find some time to talk together, and decide what each of you needs. If you can figure out more about the needs you both have, maybe you can figure out some different ways of satisfying them.

3. Thegreatperhaps

Oh, definitely. Whenever we do see each other, I'll have a letter written for her to read when she gets home. Or I'll write poems for her. I enjoy writing and I think it really delights her to have someone actually write not only to her, but about her. I'll pick up her favorite snacks and have them ready when she comes over. I custom made a necklace for her that has lyrics to a song that means a lot to the both of us on it. Also, we talk on the phone at night and wake up to each other almost every single morning. I've definitely tried to over-supply on the "smaller" things or make up for what I can't always offer. We even joined the same gym to see each other at least that way.

As for the manipulation, I have to admit sometimes I do question about it. But it feels kind of wrong.

But that you mentioned friends, I think I just had a total realization moment here. Most of her "friends" kind of drifted away from her (we think it's unfortunately related to her coming out), and I think since she doesn't a very wide range of people to choose from now, it's left her feeling very lonely. However, I obviously can't make up for all of her friends. Do you think I should maybe approach it and ask her about it? I don't want to sound rude but she's stirred up many arguments about me not trying to see her as much as I should when I literally have arguments with my father to go out to see her.

Thanks for your response by the way, it was extremely helpful.

4. QueerQueen

I've been in your girlfriends position, where I dated someone who wasn't out to her family and I was completely out except to some relatives. Plus there was the fact that she worked two jobs and was still in school so our time together was even shorter. Although when we didn't get to hang out we skyped and talked on the phone or texted.

Eventually I told her I wasn't happy and kept it at that, and she tried to talk to me more and spend more time with me, there were definitely other issues that kept the relationship from progressing, we broke up in the end and remained friends, we even said maybe in the future things would be different, but I knew we probably wouldn't date again.

It definitely can work for others, we had more problems than just that, but it sounds like you're actually trying and doing things for her even in times when you can't be there. Truthfully you can't always be there, even if your parents know your out and let you go out. There will be times when you can't be together, like every other relationship.

I would agree that she probably does need other people to hang out with and go out with, when you're not available. Friends are so important and it's unfortunate that hers have drifted away, I've had the same problem after high-school. Maybe you guys can go out and meet people together, or introduce her to your friends.

5. Thegreatperhaps

The problem is, we do have mutual friends but I don't think she likes my friends very much. And I've offered to make new friends with her, but she'll decline every time. "I don't like new people," she'll say. Which I totally understand. But I don't want to be the only person she has in her life. I can't handle that. I'm only one person you know?
    I tried bringing it up just now and said that I'll need to start seeing my friends more because I've definitely pushed them away by only seeing my girlfriend. And she automatically assumed I want to be single and she wants to date someone who never gets tired of seeing her. Having balance and getting tired of her are two separate things.

Maybe this just won't work out. We see things entirely different and I don't think she understands how I'm doing all I can right now. Hm. Thanks so much for your help.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Her not having many (any?) friends aside from you does explain a lot. Out or not, you're right - you can't be someone's entire social circle, no matter what you are to them. It's just more than one person can, or really should, provide.

There are many things you could try - go to lgbt community groups together, for starters (assuming you're comfortable with that), take a class in something (pottery, martial arts, reading group, etc.), any number of things. But if she steadfastly refuses to meet any new people and insists on you covering all of her social needs...then, yes, there may not be much you can do about it.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first thing I thought when I read the thread title is that we really can't force someone to be happy (or not); the feeling must come from within.

"I don't like new people" is a red flag, IMO, and this is coming from a guy who is introverted and hardly outgoing.