1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bromance or Romance??? HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Iarp, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Iarp

Okay, I'm gonn try my best to explain my situation and I hope anyone can offer a little advice.

I'm 23, not openly gay although close friends practically know.

I have a friend who's 20 and straight. Over the past 2 years we've developed a bromance, were like best friends, call each other Brenda (don't ask me why???) and have lots of similarities. We're constantly play fighting and he always likes to remind me then he'll "calm me down" by pinning me to the floor. He's as strong as an Ox so he likes to show it off.

From the day I met him I felt this connection that I've never felt with anyone else. He has a few anger issues and had a shitty childhood and I get that and In a way I kinda take some weight off him by being there for him and letting him know ill always be his friend whatever happens.

We have proper lad banter, call each other names, put each other down yet were both protective of each other.

The other day he sent me this big ass message which was as follows :-

*****, dont fall out with me over this ive been thinkin quite a lot recently and its been really gettin to me i dont no why i avnt asked you sooner buts its been rackin my brain goin through my mind an really pissin me of dont now how to ask u really but here goes.. Do u like my socks

Now I took this on the chin and just brushed it off, telling him I thought I'd done something wrong when I first saw it. I just don't get why he'd send me a message like this, for one, if he was joking, I think deep down he'd know how I would read that, and two, that can be seen as provocative.

The thing is, his girlfriend is another one of be close friends and his daughter is my god child.

I would want nothing more then to be able to get over the feelings I have for him and be a brother to him but its the hardest thing I have ever been through ever!

Even if he was to make a move on me, I couldn't and I wouldn't, it's not my nature to do that to anyone.

So what are your guys views, any advice of how to get over him?? Without completely distancing myself from him as I have a special bond with my god daughter and wouldn't want to ruin that.

#1 Iarp, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How can close friends "practically know" your gay and yet this guy not know? It seems like if you came out to him, he wouldn't try to do suggestive things if that's not what he really meant. You don't need to say you have feelings for him at the same time; he will need to digest this since he's in a relationship and a parent (you don't say if his girlfriend is the mother). Of course, you could continue with what you're doing, but you probably will not get over him unless you find someone else to focus your attention.

3. darth vader

Oh boy, he's trying to explore.. trying to experiment on his sexuality with you?! not sure though.. this circumstance is painful and very hard to deal with because two other people are involved.. the girlfriend and the daughter.. i'm sure you don't want to be a family wrecker or something like that..

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2013 at 10:47 AM ----------

and I also agree with resu.. you probably won't get over him unless you meet somebody else to focus your attention..

4. Chris42163

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do not see anything that would indicate he shares your romantic feelings. The email could just be a joke that someone did to him and he thought it was funny enough to share with you.

5. Iarp

That wasn't the case, he told me he made it up and asked me what I thought when I was reading it.

There's loads more stuff that goes on, like when we just look at teach other and one after another go "hmmmm".

The thing is, to others, he's the straightest person alive. Yet he'll sit on top of me while we play fight and sometimes I bite his arm when he's hurting and it's like he enjoys it. I see him with his other friends and he's totally different.

It's real hard, but this is my problem and I have to be the one to get over it while still remaining our close bond.