1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry dad..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WindMelody, Aug 24, 2013.

1. WindMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It was maybe 3 or 4 weeks since i was out to my mother, some friends, and my brother...and let me tell you...i couldn't feel more relieved! i was happier, but one problem still existed...which was telling my dad. i called him, and met him at his girlfriends...he.....didn't see well with me...i knew that when he exploded on me and said to get out....i'm wondering if he will ever talk to me again. I know the saying "It gets better" is usually true..but it doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Should i try talking to him?

2. Chris42163

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, it's impossible for anyone to give you any direct advice on how to treat him without knowing the intricacies of your relationship. However, you sound like you have a social support network and that you are out of the closet with them. Let them know what you're going through. They can help you deal with it emotionally, and if you trust their judgment, then ask them what you should do with him.

Without knowing any more, I would probably handle it by giving it time. It will be tough, but you might consider ending contact in a way that ensures that he understands that he must accept this part of you or be left without you. If you are important to him, he'll come around and he'll be sorry that he treated you that way. If he doesn't come around, then you deserve to find people who you are more important to and to bond with them.

Good luck, man.

3. Emberblaze

Give him some time before you try talking to him again. Judging by how angry he was, maybe about a month...

Family members that initially start off with a negative response have a tendency to begin to be more accepting with time... Sometimes, ALOT of time... But I wish you the best of luck