1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So apparently my dad doesn't care anymore

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 25, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earlier, my dad and I drove about an hour south of here for an errand. It was just the two of us, and while I got in the car dreading what he might try to talk to me about, and he didn't.

We talked about the only thing we do talk about anymore: politics, the economy, that sort of stuff. Same on the way back. Now he was his same condescending, rude, and disrespectful self, but he didn't ask me about my sexuality. I wonder if he doesn't care anymore or if he's accepted it.

2. Hefiel

Did you come out to your parents?

If you did, then his response is, in my opinion, possibly a good one. Nothing has changed, and life goes on.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. My mom definitely knows, my dad I think has figured it out, but I've neither confirmed nor denied my sexuality to them.

4. ryanalexander61

If you haven't told your dad, why would you expect him to bring it up?

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of a long story, Ryan. I think he figured it out because he found my stash of condoms and a bottle of lube in my bedroom. Now I'm in a 2-year relationship with who started out as my best friend, and he's over at our house a lot, and considering that I've never had a girlfriend, I think he put 2 and 2 together.

6. ryanalexander61

Well...

1. any 18 year old would have lubes and condoms
    2. any 18 year old would be hanging out with friends a lot
    3. plenty of my friends who are straight never had girlfriends before 18, some still haven't at 23/24

I'm not saying your dad does or doesn't know. He may have an idea, he may not. Even if he was 99.99% sure, that doesn't mean he would or should confront you about.

At 18, and still to this age, I had the same feelings toward my dad as you seem to have. He seemed too cold, calculating, not emotionally invested in me, only interested in serious stuff, career stuff, not concerned with my interests, etc. He always forced me to do things he thought were right whether it be course selection at school, playing sports or what have you. His only concern ever seemed to be treating me like a robot. We never did anything actually fun together. He never came to visit me on Dad's weekend.

But what I have learned and accepted is that me and my father don't have the same personality, don't have the same goals life and don't have the same idea on how to live your life. My dad rarely drinks or goes out with friends, if ever. He doesn't like taking vacations, or spending time with family really. Every social thing seems forced. He will ask me "do I need to feed you" vs. "hey wanna grab a bite to eat." Made me feel like he was just going through the motions of being a father.

But you know what, given all this I still love him very much. He isn't me, and I don't have to live my life or act like he does. And that's ok. There is nothing I can do change that. I realize he may not be the father figure I want, but he is the only one I am ever going to have. He may not feel emotionally connected to me at times, but one day he will be gone and I will miss him very much despite all of that. I'm sure he is trying the best he can, and only wants the best for me. He never knows what is going on with me emotionally or really know that much about me. But that can be just as much my fault as his. I can't force him to change his personality for my needs.

Best of luck,

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you were a full member I'd PM you and tell you the whole story, but if you look at the last few threads I've posted, you'd see the pure hate and animosity that I have for him for a very long list of reasons, but I'm just trying to let it go and move on with my life.

8. ryanalexander61

Fair enough, I know I don't know the full situation, how you may feel, how he may treat you, the everyday nuances.

But all I'm saying is keep an open mind, you never know how your opinions or feelings may change as you get older or your father's might. I've heard many people say I wasn't very close to my father until a few years before he died. As someone that is a little bit older, all I am saying is that from 18-25 you will change a lot, whether you realize it now or not.

You just never know.