1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship with ex

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gravechild, Aug 26, 2013.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been around a year since we've last broke up (for the final time), and she's been very supportive of my coming out. At first, she was upset because of my questioning, felt threatened, even tried compromising and tried to win me back, to no avail. We went through periods of talking and not talking, becoming close one week, and wanting nothing to do with the other the next. In short, an emotional roller coaster, which our relationship already was before anything pertaining to bisexuality came up!

That was then. Now, we're more like friends or siblings, sharing problems, giving advice, comforting one another. She suffers from depression, anxiety, and insomnia, much like myself, though sometimes I wonder if I'm being "used" emotionally. Speaking for myself only, there are no strong emotions left, at least, not romantically. I still care, want her to be well, and to find happiness.

What confuses me is how she'll still refer to me as "love". It's something she'd call me when we were together, so I'm not sure if it's just a comfort thing, if she still has feelings, or something else. She says she's over me, that she wants me to be happy, too, even if in the past she's said some homophobic things, bragged how she'd make me forget about men altogether, and how no non-straight man could be so passionate and into her.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is what would be considered a healthy relationship. It works for us, I'm just not sure where it's going and if it's worth maintaining. In the past, we've continued to flirt and initiate physical contact, even when most the attraction was lost, but that's over and done with. What also concerns me is her choice to stay celibate and single, though I could be over-thinking this. I've begun putting myself out there, open to another relationship, but I'm not sure she has made that step -- even if she says she has.

A bit of distance might help, since it's usually her who contacts me. It's just a bit difficult to maintain a friendship when we have little in common; in the past, it was purely physical, but now that the attraction is gone... what is there left to discuss?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a couple vague signs she might be waiting for you to come back to her arms, but they're mainly consistent with "maintaining a good relationship with your ex" ones. If she doesn't appear to be dissuading you from finding a new partner, and you don't see any other signs that she's nudging things further, I'd say you're OK.

Lex