1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Family (mostly my Mom) hate me for being a brony

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowScratch, Aug 26, 2013.

1. RainbowScratch

Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a-lot shit i have had to go through for being a Brony it really sucks...
    and yet my parents are ok with me cross dressing and being gay... It hurts a-lot every day, I wish my family could just accept this part of me and let me be me instead of this fake life I live every day! It makes me wan't to cry. I cry about it every night sometimes get these awful nightmares of me and my mom fighting and how much it hurts that she just won't listen to me. I end up waking up covered in sweat felling like my heart going to explode, only to be reminded that it actually hurts that bad in real life...
    I'm not trying to say my mom hates me she just hates this one part of me. shes a very open minded person and loves me no matter what, but not for this, I have tried hundreds of times to explain to her what the Brony fandom is all about, but she won't let me, we just end up getting into these crazy huge one sided fights! I find that My Little Pony is a big part of who I am and a way to express my sexuality.. please help me :tears:

#1 RainbowScratch, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. AKTodd

I actually had to look up what a Brony was.

It's possible I'm missing nuances here, but out of all the possible things a 17yr old could be doing or into, this seems pretty much utterly harmless.

You don't give any examples of the reasoning she is using to dislike you being a Brony, so this is just a shot in the dark, but:

Given the reaction you describe, I find myself wondering if your being a Brony is simply the 'straw that breaks the camels back' or simply a bridge to far for your mom/your parents to deal with, at least right now. Even when people are accepting of somethings, they may have either a limit on how far their acceptance extends (at least initially) or find that their acceptance has 'blind spots' in interesting places. One of the most common examples we see here is with guys who are fine with gay people but still find themselves struggling when they find themselves questioning their own orientation.

Anyway, it's just a theory.

As far as what you might do about this situation...You're 17 and will presumably be leaving home relatively soon. At which point, how you spend your time largely becomes your business. If moving out is not an option for a good bit of time, then perhaps you can get your mom to explain what exactly the issue is with you being a Brony (assuming she hasn't already). If she has stated reasons, what are they? This might help us offer some other potential solutions or approaches.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well you say your parents are okay with you cross dressing and being gay, which means they are accepting of who you are. I think you shouldn't let disagreement over a TV show cause such pain and suffering and division. People have different taste in terms of TV shows; are they actually stopping from you from watching it? Maybe just watch it when they aren't around?

You say that My Little Pony is "a big part" of who you are, but that sounds a little extreme, again, it's a children's television show, don't become obsessive to the point that it dominates your life. Being a fan of a show is fine, but you shouldn't let it get to the point where you consider your fandom to define you and be an even bigger part of you than your sexuality itself. It should be a fun thing, not a source of stress and anxiety.

4. sguyc

Solution: dont be a brony

5. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Fat lot of help you are.

Just try not to flaunt it (my parents think its gay propaganda "the rainbow one is clearly a lesbian"). Hide it from them or simply just dont mention it would probably be best.