1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Hat

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Emberblaze, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

So, I just ordered THIS hat from amazon:

gayhat.png

Thing is, I'm kinda anxious about my mom being home before me when the package arrives... If that happens, my mom, being a mother and all, is going to be nosy and open it up -_-

She already knows I'm gay, that's not what I'm worried about, but, my mom's one of those "don't let anybody know about this because they will kill you" moms. We live in Georgia, and, contrary to popular belief, we don't live in a "let's lynch those niggers and faggots" kinda place (pardon the derogatory terms).

The only place I really plan on wearing it is to school, and, let's face it, it's HIGH SCHOOL. Although I know there are some very conservative places where many people on ec alone have faced shit for being gay, I'm just in a typical 2013 high school where nobody's gonna harass me. The worst anyone can do is call me a fag behind my back, and, that doesn't bother me inthe SLIGHTEST.

I dunno, I'm not sure why i'm even making this post, and i'm digressing. Mainly, I wanna know how you guys would confront your mom if she found out you ordered a gay hat. (Assuming your mom 'accepts' your sexuality but wants you to stay in the closet for now)

2. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god this damn near made me cry! To hear that the safest place for you to wear a hat like that is at HIGH SCHOOL! The future looks bright indeed. I am constantly amazed and thrilled to see how sensible and open minded young people are today.

As for advice, I don't know if I have much to offer. It has been too long since I was your age. It has been too long since I lived with my parents and BC is a long way from Georgia. That said, I guess I would just tell her that you only plan on wearing it at school. The truth in other words. You could also tell her what you have told us, namely, that most young people today don't care who you love. Also, with all due respect to your mother, I sometimes wonder if parents who want their kids to stay in the closet are actually more concerned about what people will think of THEM or at the very least, want to be able to control who knows, who doesn't and when they find out. I think even my own parents are struggling with this a bit right now, and I live in a very socially liberal part of the continent.

3. Emberblaze

Heh yeah my school is generally accepting. There's not too much judgement, just a whooole lot of ignorance. My mom waves that she's afraid that I'll get gay bashed, and, with her being an overprotective mother, I can see her point, while at the same time, it still just seems like another bs excuse.

I know I could get killed or assaulted, it only takes ONE person. But, with that said, I could be killed or assaulted for being black, or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or for being a guy, or just for no reason at all. People are unpredictable these days and that's why i disregard my mom's reasoning.

4. josh9623

they let you wear hats indoors? Isn't that a big no no in the south? or do you not follow southern manners?

5. Emberblaze

I usually don't give two fucks about that rule because not a SINGLE person has given me a reason to why that rule even has the right to exist. Anytime I ask what's the point, I'm always told that it's "an understood courtesy".

But anywho, they let us wear them in school, just not IN the building, which most of my teachers that like me don't really care because I'm usually the only one with a hat

6. blueberrymuffin

You're 17. She doesn't get to veto what you wear, especially if you paid for it. If you have the courage to wear it in HS, you can handle her reaction. Just say it's not 1980 anymore or something.