1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on being a gay Christian...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by darth vader, Aug 28, 2013.

1. darth vader

Is the term ‘homosexual Christian’ an oxymoron? :confused:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't think so, but it takes some mental gymnastics to reconcile the two...

3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how you define "Christian". Most of the time I hear people using the term "Christian", they seem to be equating it to "Bible-thumping, bigoted, backwards, uneducated, opinionated moron with limited dental care whose parents were first cousins". That's no more accurate than people using the term "gay" as if every gay person is the most extreme, negative and unrealistic caricature of gay male that you could ever hope to see (or hope NOT to see).

If you read what Jesus actually had to say, particularly in a historical context, it's pretty hard to imagine him having any problem whatsoever with anyone being gay. A lot of the people closest to him were not exactly the beloved of society at the time, and he was a pretty non-judgemental guy. Anyone who can quietly defuse a mob of people who are going to stone someone to death has a lot going for him. In that sense, a genuine Christian working off of the basic, positive concepts of Christianity, would be a huge asset as a friend and ally.

When you throw religion into the mix, things get more complicated, of course. I love my Catholic rites and rituals and probably 75% of the rules and regs, so to speak, but I obviously have to close my eyes about some of it. Religion is what people decide to DO with Christianity, and it's often very flawed. It's definitely not for everyone, but personally, it gives me strength. I figure, there is no aspect of my life where I am likely to agree with 100% of what an organization of any kind--or a person, for that matter--has to say, so compromise will always be a part of life. For myself, there are more pluses than minuses, but that's a personal thing. For someone else it might be different.

But to go back to your original question--no, "homosexual Christian" shouldn't be considered an oxymoron.

4. GirlWhoWaited

Try reading the book "Does Jesus Really Love Me?" It's about a gay man's journey to reconcile his sexuality with Christianity. Also, if you ever get an opportunity to see the musical "Bare"(it's also on YouTube, I think), watch it. It's sad in some places, but beautiful. And once you watch it, you'll never forget that God Don't Make No Trash.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2013 at 05:50 AM ----------

Hello, fellow LGBT Catholic. :wink: You may be interested in googling New Ways Ministry. It inspires lots of hope for us.

5. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Freedom of religion implies that you are free to hold whatever religious beliefs you want, regardless of what anyone else says - this includes actual religious dogma, religious authorities, other people who are religious etc. So you could technically call yourself a "christian", but follow your own personal brand of Christianity. It's your constitutional right! (I think... I dunno anything about the Philippines :S).

6. srslywtf

yeah depends what version of christianity you subscribe to, how strictly you think its necessary to follow and most importantly what your personal beliefs are.

If you're going to be religious, believe what you believe, not what someone told you to believe :slight_smile: the book christianity is based upon is in nowhere near its original state, and the people that control that kind of thing are just people... so it's open to interpretation and you can even question whether a particular verse was originally in the bible.. alot has been added over the years.

7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, I will do that!

I should add that from what I have seen, the worst anti-gay "Christians" seem to have a tendency to cherry-pick Old Testament verses to support their positions, while cleverly ignoring everything Jesus himself had to say, and every example he gave, about love and forgiveness and acceptance. I don't think of the Bible as God revealing himself to people, as much as people gradually giving up the notion that God is vengeful and angry, and realizing that God is loving and kind. Taken that way, it's hard to take seriously the people who use the Bible as their weapon.

8. biggayguy

You're going to find it impossible if you take every thing written in the bible as literally true and applicable to your life today. I personally believe that there is a lot of figurative language. There is also much that was written at a specific time in history to a specific audience. Finally, some passages are just poorly translated. If you take these things into account it is possible to be gay and Christian. I suggest going to Soulforce They have a pamphlet titled What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality.

9. darth vader

Thanks for your opinion and ideas guys. Yeah, I've thought about those things as well. But it's quite difficult to apply detached involvement in matters like these specially in my case, I came from a very devout Catholic family. And being a Catholic would require agreeing and complying with ALL the doctrines of the church. One priest even mentioned that it is better and more honorable to step out of the institution rather than stay with a protestant faith.

So, in the stricter sense, I am not a genuine Catholic if we base it on their standards. Technically, I should not even take the communion if I have opposing views regarding Catholic teachings. I am human. These things hurt me often.

10. biggayguy

I became Catholic in 2000. Recently however I've been attending Anglican Mass. I'm strongly considering becoming Anglican. Taking Catholic communion makes me feel like a fraud these days.

11. Kaisoo

I am a Christian, and by that I mean I believe in God and his amazing love, and I am a bisexual, so if I can why can't you?

12. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, im a gay christian. Its totally cool :grin:

13. Stephany

I think you can be a gay believer.. just like with orientation..why label it?

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm personally agnostic, but I believe that true christians are to spread love and acceptance, not hate and prejudice. If there was someone up there, he would love us all.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope. You'd be surprised at some of the affirming things SOME Christian pastors have said. With regard to sexual orientation, one Catholic priest said "God made you* just the way you were supposed to be."

* meaning all GLBTQ people, from the context

It all comes back to the best question ever asked on this topic "When did you choose to be straight?"

16. Kaisoo

I think that's not any of his business (what anything says or thinks). These people have nothing to do with him, he is supposed to choose who to believe in. :/

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was implying that some Christian leaders are supportive and accepting. Also, I agree. He should definitely listen to his heart and not the propaganda of someone who is on a witch hunt.

In the U.S., GLBTQ folks are choosing to ignore the church's discrimination and still participate, are forming or moving to denominations which don't discriminate, are choosing to still identify with their church but not participate, or have rejected organized religion. These seem to be the major approaches people have taken.

He can definitely remain in the religion into which he was born and just ignore the discriminatory and archaic part. If that's what he's comfortable with, that's what he should do. Many do.

18. Gen

Gen

Especially for our younger members, I would just like to point out that Christianity is not the belief in God. Christianity is the belief in the systematic beliefs of the literal understands of the religion and the bible. Most major religions belief in the same God; they simply differ on what practices and actions fall in line with his wishes.

If you find yourself disagreeing with many statements of the bible and the organized religion, you shouldn't feel the necessity to label yourself as a Christian. As with any other philosophy, political stance, or personal belief, you are in no way obligated to label yourself. Over half of the people that name themselves Christians these days aren't actually "Christians", rather simply theists. I, personally, just think its best to leave labels at that.

A homosexual theist has no conflictions.

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I sort of am one so I don't think so LoL

20. 2112

That's only one thought :wink: