1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on how to deal with my mum

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Squib, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I've had a bit of an issue with coming out to my mum as bisexual that has really upset me. When I first told her she said she was okay with it etc. But she's basically said to me that I'm confused and she's got me to get a blood test to check my hormone levels. It's obvious she's not okay with it and she's hoping I'll have abnormal hormones so they can be treated. I feel really upset that she's thinking that way. If the test results come back as being abnormal then I'm not sure I'd even want to take any medication anyway. Being bisexual is all I've ever known and I'm happy with who I am. My partner is happy and okay with it all so I don't see why I should get ''treatment'' to deal with it. She's made me feel like there's something wrong with me and I'm really angry with her for that. What would you guys advice be on how to deal with it?

2. Bryar Thorne

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

It was hard for my parents when I first had told them as well about my first girlfriend. They put me through a ton of extra therapy and thought maybe I had some mental issues going on because I had stopped taking my ADD medication about a year prior to coming out to them.

I'm not sure how old you are but maybe she is just assuming that you're at a stage where your hormones are going crazy and is thinking it may just be in your head because of that. Just try to assure her that this is who you are and be strong for your own sake. It takes parents a while to come around sometimes. Just know that she's dealing with this in possibly the only way she knows how and do what you think is right and what feels right to you. :slight_smile:

My thoughts are really that even if they do come back negative or abnormal or whatever they do, the treatment won't change who you are on the inside. Maybe it would help your mom adjust if you did go through with it for a little bit and then talking to her and telling her you feel the same way as you did prior. Either that, or sit down with her and talk to her and tell her how her thinking you have irregularities really makes you feel. I'm sure she isn't saying it to try to offend or hurt you in any way and is just still possibly in shock.

Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

3. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey :slight_smile: When i came out as lesbian my mum wanted to believe it was because of my high testosterone levels (i have polycystic ovaries). She wanted me to see my doctor and ask about it. I guess as parents, they go through a denial stage too sometimes. I understand that you feel awful, but the only thing that really seems to help these things is time. Shell come to terms with it in her own way, but i totally get how you feel. Hope it gets better soon :slight_smile:

4. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your advice. It helps a lot just having people to ask advice that actually know what it's like. I'll just have to be patient. Get my results later today anyway so will decide on how to go about it when I get them.

5. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It does doesnt it xD At least you know who you are, and no medication could change that even if you wanted it too. Best of luck :thumbsup:

6. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I can understand why you would want to make your mum happy....but if the expense of that sacrifice is you being unhappy, is it worth it?

At 22 you are legally an adult, your body is your temple and if you don't want doctors sticking needles in to take blood out it is your right to say no. To be coerced or given an ultimatum is harassment and abuse.

If you are proud of who you are, then don't let anyone take that pride and joy away from you. It is your mum that has to change and adapt, not you :wink:

7. wanderinggirl

My cousin has PCOS and she's straight. I know a girl who has PCOS and she's straight. Both have high testosterone. It has zero correlation to sexual orientation!

8. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I got my results back and all my hormone levels are completely normal. So that's a relief for me. Though my mum was a bit put out as there is nothing ''wrong'' with me now that she can blame it on. She's now decided that bisexuals don't exist and I'm just making up how I feel. Which isn't exactly helpful.

At least I'll be moving out soon (for the last time I hope!) Back to University and then hopefully will not need to move back in again. I bet she'll try get me to do some more tests. I'm not doing any more. Only did the first one to try and make her feel better.

Thanks for all your help anyway!