1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would someone that's supposed to be a friend..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Anomie, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Anomie

Anomie Guest

Start getting all clingy and inquisitive? I went 30 years without even so much as kissing a guy and a friend helped me get out of the closet. The day I came out to my wife he was there and we hung out for like 6hrs and I thought he was just being sweet and a good friend. We went and ate and then went to a park and just talked. I guess I give off "fuck me" vibes to people because I'm really nice and playful with evryone. Then today he's already (3rd day out) asking if the friend I was texting a bit while hanging out - if wed done stuff sexually. And I'm like no I'm helping him through his gf cheating on him and a custody battle of a daughter that is legally his but not bilogically. I said I don't date friends because it ruins relationships and I don't have many friends to begin with. Then he asked him how I saw him. I said that basically just a friend. 30 years of closets and being with girls and I've never even kissed a man (despite wanting to) I'm in no headspace to even think about someone beyond a friend at this point without totally fucking up what 30 years took to get to.

I'm crying because I felt like he was getting clingy already and I just need a friend not a lover. Any advice? I don't need friends that smell blood in the water and think its time for a feeding frenzy. Thats what got me in a lot of messes in the first place.

Help?!?! :bang:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll say a couple things - first of all, if you're not ready, you're not ready. And if all you see him as is a friend, then that's all you see him as. You're under no obligation to pretend otherwise, so if he continues expressing interest, just be honest and upfront, like you have been already. If he still won't cut it out, you can also ask for some time to yourself (i.e., not being in contact with him).

You do mention, though, that situations like this "got you into a lot of trouble in the first place" - so it seems like there's a history here that may be influencing how you feel about his comments. From what you've written, even though it seems like he may have a few issues with boundaries and social appropriateness (I wouldn't ask a friend if they were into me while they were consoling someone going through a custody battle, but hey, maybe that's just me), he's not necessarily saying or doing anything inherently wrong. Provided he doesn't ramp up the attempts into the creepy zone, try not to sweat it too much - because, again, you have control over what happens here.

3. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like, he feels very alone, then suddenly, his friend is gay. Suddenly, someone your close to has one more thing in common. I dont think he means to make you feel like that. I think he is just looking for companionship more than sex, but being a man he doesnt quite know how to say it. You could explain to him you are there for him, and that he can have your companionship, but no more, as your not ready and really it just sounds like he needs a shoulder to cry on.

4. Anomie

Anomie Guest

He totally wanted more. He texted me two words back "I understand" and hasn't said anything else since. I guess he was just lonely and trying to make something happen.

5. starry

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Then today he's already (3rd day out) asking if the friend I was texting a bit while hanging out - if wed done stuff sexually."

So on your 3rd day out hes already asking if you've done stuff sexually with another friend? He sounds extremely clingy and jealous. It sounds to me like hes thought about you sexually for a long time and he has feelings for you way beyond a friend and the prospect you could be sleeping with another man has made him extremely jealous and upset. I would keep your distance. Don't let him manipulate you into thinking he has lost those feelings of wanting more then just a friend because I can assure you he while may say he understands he would jump at the opportunity right now to be more then just friends. You should take a break from the friendship and not have any contact with him to let him get over his feelings.
    You are 100% correct about one thing, sleeping with friends is an absolute relationship killer. I slept with a somebody I had gone on one date with and then we decided to becomes just "friends" and ended up sleeping with each other and holding hands everywhere and cuddling all the time like we were in a relationship and it went on for 2 months and I fell in love with him. I thought it would turn into something more, but in the end I found out he really was just using me and the care he had for me was fairly minimal as a friend. It broke my heart. Never sleep with a friend, or get into a FWB situation if you are the emotional type that might get attached. FWB's 9/10 never turn into anything more and almost without exception somebody will get hurt. Just got out of this relationship about a month ago so it's very fresh in my mind. It was an absolute nightmare.

#5 starry, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. Anomie

Anomie Guest

Im going to take your advice and distance myself. I don't need all of the stress.

^^Ps I used to live in shoreline

7. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with it all!!!

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, one of the things you'll discover is that gay men, on the whole, have all the baggage that straight men have, plus an extra serving of baggage, because of the internalized homophobia and all the negative stuff that society pushes on us.

Additionally, because, for most gay men, shame is so ubiquitous and so deeply entrenched, you see a lot of sexual acting out; the men feel like they only way they can convince themselves they're worthy is to have someone to love them, or someone to have sex with them, or to have everyone looking at them when they walk into a club or bar. And your friend is a prime example of that.

Unfortunately, it can make it challenging to have gay friends. I'm lucky enough to be in a circle of gay guys who are all very respectful of one another, are good friends, and have never (and would never) sleep with one another. Those situations aren't the easiest to find, but they are out there, and the best I can suggest is that you simply make it clear that you are, at this point, only looking for friends. Doesn't mean people will believe it, but it at least sets the stage.

You've done a lot already toward being your authentic self. Just keep doing what you're doing, set clear boundaries, and I think you'll start to attract the sort of people you want around you.

9. starry

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool :slight_smile: I live pretty close to there!