1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love my GF, but she's close-minded

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TrenchCoat, Aug 31, 2013.

1. TrenchCoat

So my girlfriend, despite being a lesbian, is very close-minded about non-cisgender identities and orientations that don't fall under 'straight, gay or bi'.

Which is really difficult for me because I'm genderqueer AND asexual. I go from female to male to neutral to somewhere in between throughout the week and I while I love her with all my heart, I don't feel sexual attraction to her or anyone else. That's just who I am.

I had to explain to her that I was asexual and she didn't take it well at all. I tried to tell her that I still was willing to have sex with her and wanted to have sex with her, it's just that I saw it more as an expression of intimacy because I don't feel sexual attraction.
    She focused on the fact that I wasn't sexually attracted to her and just took offence at that instead, which really hurts because it was really difficult coming out to her.

We've sorted it mostly now, with us agreeing to disagree. She said she would just view it as 'we both want to be intimate with each other' and said that that's all that is important. Which I was thankful for but it also hurts that she isn't willing to accept me.

Because of this, I've been too scared to talk to her about my genderqueerness, and make myself dress feminine if I'm seeing her, even if I'm male or neutral that day.

I love her very much and she loves me too, but I just wish I could talk with her about this.

2. If you can't talk to her about who you are then something needs to change.

You should not have to settle with 'agree to disagree' over this in your relationship. It is your very identity.

If you have to pretend to be someone else when you're with her and can never discuss how you're feeling or who you are with the one you love, then this relationship won't work.

She needs to do some work toward accepting you before she is even worth your time. I'm sorry, but someone who refuses to love you and accept your for who you are is not someone that you should waste your life and love on.