1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in god, even after what religion says about us?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by catgoturtongue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. catgoturtongue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A very controversial question, huh?

So, do you believe in god even with all the crap written on the bible and all what religious preach and spit on our faces? Yes or not, and why?

2. I still do...

I guess because I'm attached for emotional reasons??

I think people pick and choose what to follow, or not follow out of their religious texts for a lot of reasons. I also believe that many of the verses which are used against us in the LGBT community were written thousands (or hundreds) of years ago in a very different culture, time, place, and mindset. Rules should be changed according to the times that we live in.. as a lot of it's no longer applicable.

3. darth vader

Yep, positive. Because he has answered so many of my prayers and questions that it's ridiculous for me to believe that God doesn't exist. Although nowadays I really don't get his plans for me because of the frustrations that I've been experiencing.

4. shiro757

shiro757 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still do. You see, the bible never said anything about two women being gay being bad. At least, not what I've read.
    There are even parts which sem to condone incest, like where one mans daughters sleep with him.
    So, I don't feel bad one bit.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. At least, not in the context that modern religion puts a god figure in. I've always been on the fence anyway, since I was what, six or seven?

6. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but not because of what the bible says about homosexuality. I became an atheist when I was 9 simply because everything seemed to make more sense when I abandoned my belief in god. That was 5 years before I realized I was gay. And even once I realized I was gay, I didn't know what the bible said about homosexuality or that some people believe that homosexuality is a choice or a sin until a year later. I will, however, say that the knowledge that these beliefs were prevalent in some religious institutions reinforced my decision to exclude religion from my life.

7. lukeluvznicki13

I believe in the Lord.
    He has helped me through so much and I believe one thing: "Humans wrote the Bible, not God."
    So therefore, I believe God loves everyone for who they are. He created everyone in a specific reason and loves people for it.
    As Archbishop Desmond Tutu said: "God is not a homophobic." This I believe as well and I think that the Lord loves everyone equally no matter who we like etc .

8. Saint Otaku

Many different religions say many different things about homosexuality. I cannot abandon my belief in God, much as I would like. Without God, I would likely fall to the depression of nihilism or become a hollow person consumed by aestheticism or hedonism.

9. shiro757

shiro757 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, incest is more of a societal taboo. Its illegal, but lots of things are illegal, and people still do them.
    That, and the bible has condoned it in one place or another, which is why I have no qualms about dating my sis :kiss:

10. AKTodd

I was an atheist long before I figured out I was gay.

Todd

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a believer in God but not a believer of any christian religion. I believe in him and worship him in my own personal way. Religion and God are two separate things in my opinion. I choose to believe in God but I chose to follow no religion. Cause all religion does is brainwash people into thinking what the minister wants them to think.

The bible has been translated and taken out of context so many times it is not even funny. Go look around Youtube you will see scholars explain how different parts of the bible were taken out of context or changed to fit other peoples needs and desires.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

My atheism has little to do with me being queer.
    In fact, if someone managed to present evidence for the existence of the Christian god, for example, I would acknowledge his/her/its existence.

I don't believe in gods because there is no evidence for their existence, whatsoever.
    The supposed view of a god or godess on (homo)sexuality is irrelevant.

If a homophobic god would exist, I would acknowledge that, but I would never worship such a being.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

I don't think that word means what you think it means....

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. not convinced I ever did much to my families disappointment.

I've never had a need for it and am of the opinion that even if there was a god I wouldn't worship it anyway.

14. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe in a god, i am a Christian. Im also gay. Apparently everyone hates me everywhere :grin:

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to right we do qwr42, how DARE you have differing beliefs while practicing tolerance! You make me sick :grin:

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don´t believe an ancient book or church or a religious leader should dictate your life.
    Apart from that, I see no problem in believing in a "god".
    I don´t think (a) god says anything about gays in particular, eventhough some people claim he does or did.

17. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    lol no way man.

18. rjrh20

I guess I believe in god in the way that there is a heaven and there is a hell, but besides that my whole family is Atheist.

19. Saint Otaku

I meant it to emphasize philosophies I personally believe to have merit, and additionally, I was implying themes associated with the Aesthetic Movement. Materialism would have been better to apply to the general public, but it was a personal remark however...

20. animequeen567

I'm an atheist. I've given up on religion. It's caused me and my loved ones too much pain. I'm just sick of it. (Just for the record here though, I have nothing against people who are religious, I've just had a lot of things happen in my life that involved religion that has caused me to not want anything to do with it.)