1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She's dying

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Typhoon, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The dog I grew up with when I was little is dying due to kidney problems. She's been getting worse and has been vomiting and shitting herself for the past few days and hardly eating and drinking almost nothing. My parents took her to an animal hospital where she was given injections for vitamins, water and and one to stop her vomiting for about 24 hours.

Today she went worse and we were taking her tonight for injections but I don't think I will ever see her again when they take her again. She is nearly seventeen now.

I know that most dogs live for less but personally that is no consolation, I always loved that half-breed little Jack Russell, who we called Kim. She has never been sick in her entire life. My father found her once outside a cemetery once in the middle of the road, and then apparently he said she had 'jumped into his arms' and took her home. She was a few weeks old by the time. I remember him coming back home with her.

The worst thing for me is that I can't spend time with her and keep her company. I have exams on the 5th and 10th September (which I can't even concentrate on) and I can't even be there for her with my parents. She's lying on a few pillows in their room where she's been sleeping for years, basically waiting to die. She's shrunk so horribly in the last few days. I just feel so nauseated, confused and sad.

2. SomeNights

I'm so sorry. It's never easy losing a pet, but if she's getting that bad, there is time you have to let go. The best thing you can do is focus on all the good times you had together with her and make her as comfortable as possible.

(*hug*) and we're all here for you.

3. biggayguy

:tears::icon_sad:I sympathize with you. The little poodle I had in childhood lived for sixteen years. He had arthritis in his old age and was nearly blind. One day he was taken out for a walk in the snow. He laid down and didn't get back up. It's hard to let them go.

4. cali

I'm so sorry, it's always hard when a member of the family becomes ill. At least with a dog we can end their suffering peacefully, but, it's always hard to know the right time.

5. Silver Sparrow

I'm really sorry that this is happening to you. We had to put down my Collie when I was about 13, and it was one of the hardest things I've gone through. Just know we are always here for you!

6. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My father took her 10 minutes ago so that she can be put down. She ate yesterday, with my persistence about different food suggestions much to my father's surprise, but when she came home from the vet, after the injections, she kept burying her head in awkward corners and trembling. She even made crying noises for the first time in months (she hasn't barked for that long either).

Not sure if I said this but she has renal failure and she's going senile. I love her but I can't prolong her suffering, I need to let her go. My father just woke me up now at 6AM telling me he was taking her, so perhaps the truth may not have sunk in, that I will never see her again. I picked up a few odd stray hairs from her to remember her by. It's also ironic that it is my father's birthday, but he expressly said he didn't want me to come, he's very likely afraid that it would only affect my examination performance. SHe'll be gone in a few minutes, if she hasn't already.

I always had this idea of burying her when she died, but the vets dispose of the body by cremating it (as we don't have animal cemeteries here). I just hope that she would have understood why we had to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSca9yYwKw - RIP :frowning2:

#6 Typhoon, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Hugs* I've been in your exact position.

I loved my puppy, she was my best friend...but she had gotten kidney disease. It was obvious she dying but it was so hard to accept. One day my parents and I had come home and she mad managed to struggle from her bed and was just lying there in the middle of the living room helpless. I was heartbroken.

My dad decided to have her put down but she passed away on her own before that.

It takes time but you'll get through it. I ended up getting a new puppy, but she's not the same.

Just remember we're here for you. *hugs*

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you all. I don't really use Facebook or any of these social networks, so this was my only way of talking about her. My father came back like 30 minutes ago (feels that long anyway). She's gone but I feel strangely relieved considering what she went through.

We already have 2 other dogs, an actual brother and sister, both six years old (they've been with us since birth) and the brother already has cancer and the sister has a rash problem which causes her discomfort. But they can never be a replacement. You always remeber them.

Picture of her from a few years ago.

[​IMG]

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not much of a cryer, but reading this made me choke back a few tears. I know exactly how you feel. When I was 19, we had to put my dachshund, Louie, down because he had melanoma underneath his tongue.

When we first noticed something was wrong, he would cry every time he took a bite of food. Eventually, he started to drool brown stuff (blood probably). So we took him to the vet thinking he just had an abscessed tooth. Turns out he actually did have an abscessed tooth. But the doctor said he also had melanoma under his tongue. :frowning2: He said we had the choice to either put him down now, or give him a few more months with surgery. Of course, I chose surgery. But it was going to cost us over $500. I didn't care. There is no price on the love you feel for your pet.

He did the surgery and came out fine. His teeth were bright white and his breath smelled great! I was so happy. But the doctor said his estimated time was 3 months, and the melanoma would be back again. Well, my dog made it to 6 months, because he was an amazing dog and fighter. He was 17-years-old.
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad that you feel a sense of relief. It's much better to put your dog out of its misery.

10. monotone

My family's dog passed away from cancer two years ago. It was really sudden, we noticed he was sick and two weeks later he had to be put down.

If it makes you feel any better, you'll feel horrible for the first few weeks especially, but eventually you'll be left with all your memories of her, good or bad, but predominantly good.

11. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you :slight_smile:

I still can't accept that she died, my hopes and dreams seemed to have died with the only companion I had throughout my childhood. I would find solace in her sometimes when my parents fought, now the house seems so empty without her.

My family moved on the same day she died, perhaps because they had already replaced her ages ago by the two younger dogs. I could never 'replace' her. My exam is tomorrow and I'm not even sure if I care whether I make it through, it will determine my future but I lost interest in everything around me.