1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help?Asian Parents found out about me + girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pompom, Sep 1, 2013.

1. pompom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, first time poster here.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for over a year and we had managed to keep it for a secret for the entire time (from both family and friends)- until my family found photos of us acting all lovey-dovey and coupley and approached me.

So far both my sibling and father have expressed that they were initially shocked but have gotten over that and will fully support and love me- my mom on the other hand is more traditional and thinks that I'm going through some 'phase' and that I'll grow out of it and leave my girlfriend for some guy. In fact she's the entire reason why I wanted to wait until after I had graduated to come out to them (I just finished my first year at college)- so that if I was still with my girlfriend by then she wouldn't think that I was just messing around, not to mention that I'd hopefully be more financially independent.

Right now we're going through this awkward phase where she always seems to be on the verge of saying something but she doesn't want to- I'm going back to college in a few weeks and I'm afraid that the distance between us will cause her to think of a whole range of possibilities of things that could happen between my girlfriend and I- not to mention that our colleges are really close together and we hang out a lot of the time. In fact we're even moving to a student apartment together which my parents were initially fine with- as they thought that we were just friends- but we've already paid the rent so yeah. It's a little bit awkward.

What should I do? :confused: Will time help to ease the issues?

2. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

I think as time goes by,your mom will probably realise that you are seirous about this, that it's not just a phase. She loves you, so she will probably accept it eventually. Good luck.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I think your mom will eventually learn that you're not in a phase, & she will have to accept you. I hope your relationship with your girlfriend last.

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Hey, if she is not trying to break the 2 of you up, then, your situation is in long terms a good one. It could be very dramatic( getting disowned, forced breakup, daily struggles and fights...)

What you have now is the opportunity to show her how real is the thing, this is a challenge for you and your girlfriend as a couple.