1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward around men, can't talk to anyone!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheMailman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Prepare yourself, my fine dear fellows, this is a long one.

While I've been out for at least a month to a few people (but I won't lie to anyone who asks. I fact I almost wish that someone would just ask me in a crowded classroom, then the whole school would know, and I can put it behind me!), but I still can't talk to anyone about it!
    My dad thinks I'm going through a phase, which is kinda fine, he'll see it won't pass. My mom, however, has entirely forgotten! She couldn't care less whether I'm gay or not (which is good, I suppose), she just thinks I'm choosing (choosing?!) to make my life harder. But when we went shopping for clothes (upcoming school ball), she had asked who I'm taking to the ball. I told her I'm just going with some friends, as the person I want to ask probably won't say yes(He knows I'm gay, but not that I have a crush on him). My mom reassured me that she was sure the girl wouldn't say no. It was a small absent minded little thing, but it really hurt me that she couldn't be bothered to remember that I like boys.
    I can't talk to my friends either, as it's always too crowded. Whenever I try to mention it, they quickly change the subject. My best friend always gets very awkward when I speak about it, so I avoid talking to him about it.

But I also want to distance myself from my best friend. He's sorta rude, lazy, annoying and inconsiderate at times, and he doesn't get along with my other, much nicer friends (and crush), so I can't spend my free times with my crush. This means I can't get to know my crush better, or find out if he's also gay (it seems more and more likely, but that's a whole other story.) I'm always seeing photo's on Facebook of my other friends smiling and laughing together, which makes me wish I could have been there. However, I can't just tell my best friend to go away, or that I want to spend some time with my other friends, cause he doesn't really have any other close friends. He's also my only gamer friend, who I can LAN with...

Second matter of the day: Awkwardness around other men.
    I always make a complete fool of myself when talking to any other men but my best friend or my crush. Except for them, all my friends are girls. This is because I've always got on better with girls, and I feel much more comfortable around them. Most girls in my grade go out of their way to greet me in the morning, and I can spend hours just chatting away with just about any girl I've known longer than 10 minutes. (Ironic, right? :eusa_danc I mean, come on, I'm not even attracted to them! :lol:slight_smile:
    But with boys, I'm a complete cloister. I don't like sports (even though I am quite slim and fit.) and I don't like to talk about girls (obviously), so I have nothing to talk to them about. I am shy to the point of rudeness with men straight guys (and I don't know any gays).
    How do I make this better? How can I be more relaxed around them?

In a few months, however, I'm visiting my niece in the city for about two weeks. This will ope many opportunities, as she has several gay friends. I've always been closest to her, so we can talk this out...if I survive until then!:dry:

Thanks for reading, if you're still with me.

#1 TheMailman, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. LD579

It might not hurt to remind your mom the next time she says anything of the sort that you're gay. "But mom, I'm gay. I don't go for girls in that way," or something to that effect. With regards to the facebook photos... It's likely that they're only projecting that image outwards. Most people wouldn't broadcast their friendship and relationship drama for all to see, and so you're left with the fun and silly bits. It could be worth keeping that in mind.

I've always kind of been the same way, as well. Part of what's helped is getting some exposure to instances where I have to interact with other guys. Eventually, it'll become easier to interact with them. Surely there are some guys who aren't just about sports talk, right? ...With that said, I do know that some guys only talk about sports with acquaintances and distant friends, so I understand it can be hard. But not all guys are like that, as I'm sure you know =) Small talk, going with the flow, and not worrying about what they'll think about you should all help in being more relaxed around them.

3. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for responding.
    In regards to my other friends: I do hang out with the entire group from time to time, and I haven't experienced much drama. But I still would like to hang out with them more.

To answer the boys thing, well... not really. Around here that's mostly all that boys seem to do, although there always are a few exceptions(Best friend, my crush.), but I have no problem talking to them, it's the sporty ones which dominate most of the boy population which I'm worried about. I don't really want them as friends, but I have to interact with them on a daily basis, and that's what my problem is.
    But I'll try.