1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasingly religious family amping up homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sunshine Cries, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sunshine Cries

I'm a first-gen Greek American, from an Orthodox family. But now, I'm getting dragged to sermons against my will. And the Greek Orthodox Church is an incubator for homo- and biphobia.
    Greeks are also very homophobic people. My family was already pretty anti-gay. But now, them going to church to hear sermons from a vastly more homophobic, sexist, racist bishop has given them the freedom to be more so.

I've already been worried about my family's potential actions; I'm almost glad that my girlfriend lives in England, because my family would definitely have her tried for statutory. I am now fearing being sent to a Pray The Gay Away camp, for fuck's sake! My relationship with my family is crumbling.

I just don't know how to be in this family any longer when they are the cause of my biggest worries. Is there any way I can reinforce the truth of my sexuality, maybe even tell them that I have a girlfriend, without risking the trust of my family, or even my own life?

Thanks,

Sunshine

2. Bright Eyes

Honestly, I don't think you should come out to your family until you move out. It's not worth putting yourself in physical danger.
    That being said, I know it's really hard to not be out to your family. Only my mom knows, because although my family is not (very) homophobic, my relationships with all my family members are extremely complicomplicated.
    I'm sorry that you have to hear such hateful things from those around you, especially your family.
    I hope it gets better and best of luck to you and your girlfriend!