1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a boyfriend...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GeorgieBoy, Sep 4, 2013.

1. GeorgieBoy

So in the past couple of months I've (almost) fully come out of the closet. Pretty much all of my friends know now, and I'm not afraid to tell anyone who asks. my sister knows, but I haven't told my parents just yet. Right now I'm in a position where I'm looking for a relationship. The problem is, I don't know where to start. :eusa_doh:

There is someone I like. REALLY like. He's a friend, but most signs point to him being straight. A part of me wants to tell them how I feel, or at least confide in another friend I trust, but my friends are such great people, so obviously I don't want to risk creating awkwardness and eventually losing them.

I've considered getting in contact with a couple of people who have come out, who I used to go to school with, just to meet up and talk really. But I don't really know here to start with that either?

A part of me thinks that this would be easier if I was out to EVERYONE. Like putting it on Facebook or in my Bio or whatever, but that's always felt a little bit tacky to me, and I doubt many people would even take it seriously.

Now that I've finally reached this point, I just don't really know where to start in actually finding a boyfriend :bang:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple thoughts to start with -

First, regarding the guy you like. Are you out to him? If not, do you feel like you can be? If so, that would be a good first step, and give him a chance to tell you if he's attracted to men too.

I also highly recommend getting in touch with the people you know from school. Even if you don't know them, it could be fun to get (back) in touch and see if they ever want to hang out. I know if someone dropped me a line like that, I'd think it was pretty cool. The surest way to meet someone to date, after all, is to make sure you're meeting a lot of new people.

3. GeorgieBoy

Hey Gravity,

Thanks for the reply. I'm out to the guy I like. He was one of the first people I came out to for that reason, but he's never said anything about being gay himself. To be honest, he's more likely to be straight, I just sometimes get the feeling that I'd like to tell him how I feel.

I will probably try and reconnect with some old 'out' schoolmates then. I know at least one person who I used to have classes with who has come out as bisexual, so it would be good to at least talk to someone else.

Thanks again!