1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i talk to him (not a crush/is he gay thread)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by josh9623, Sep 5, 2013.

1. josh9623

There is one kid in one of my classes. last year whenever I first had class with him no one had anything nice to say about him and no one wanted to work with him. I have worked with him a couple of times and his attitude was really pessimistic, doom and gloom, etc. He doesn't have very many friends that I know of, and he usually sticks to himself. he is also the only other out gay kid in the class. I am wondering if I should try to talk to him and see if I can figure out why he is acting that way, and maybe try to get him help or support if he needs it. Does anyone think this would be a good idea and if so how should i approach the conversation to make sure I sound supportive instead of condescending?

2. Klutz

Some people are just Eeyores. It may not have anything to do with being gay. I generally advise people to offer a hand of friendship if they want to help someone. Saying "hey, we did good on that project. I found out this little tidbit more about the topic" is enough for someone to feel connected and noticed.

If, however, you think it is more than a morose/pessimistic thing and you feel like you should do something, maybe offer help "hey, you seem pretty down lately, I don't want to pry, but let me know if I can help". Then drop it (unless the help is accepted) and let the person move at their own pace. Unless you are worried about abuse self or otherwise. If you are, talk to someone.

3. Californiacoast

Here's my thought, you can't go wrong reaching out to someone who is down. Even if they refuse help, the gesture is appreciated if it comes from a sincere heart. Sometimes a small guesture makes a person rethink a really bad decision. You never know why people act the way they do until you know what they are going through. Good for you for even caring!