1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fear coming out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by scaredtocomeout, Sep 5, 2013.

1. scaredtocomeout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a 25 year old female and know in my heart I will not feel completely comfortable with my life unless I fully come out. I struggled for the longest time with accepting that I was Bisexual, and haven't had many female relationships, but KNOW I am Bisexual.

I am currently with a Male and want to marry him, but I feel incomplete and like my family doesn't truly know ME and who I TRULY AM fully because they assume I am straight because all they have seen is my male relationships, and know nothing about what I constantly called "the other me" until I fully accepted personally that I was Bisexual.

I want to come out to my family, and part of me feels they will accept me, but the other part makes me wonder what their reaction will be since they know my boyfriend and I (of 4 years) plan to get married and I fear they will question why I am just telling them this now versus earlier when I was single. I want and hope they understand that this is more about me being honest with who I am to my family so they know the true me and don't want them to assume this has anything to do with my current relationship....my family has experienced multiple family friends who have come out after being married for years, and it appears they have sympathy for "the other person" that this is a tragic thing to happen to "the other person" versus a triumph of courage for the LGBTQI individual...part of my fear comes from this reaction

When it comes to being out I have very few friends who know I am Bisexual, but most importantly my boyfriend knows and has known most of the relationship. He accepts me for me, and for quite a while I felt that is all I really truly needed. Now I know & feel I need more and that is for my family to know.

My other concern is I had a very close friend in college who I love as a person (nothing romantic) who is also Bi, and is one of my best friends. I have been avoiding keeping in contact with her (few texts every now and then) following college because I don't want her to know even though I know she will be the most accepting and supportive person in my life next to my boyfriend. I am more afraid to tell her than I am to tell my family.

Stuck in a constant fear & confidence battle and unsure how to go about coming out and feeling comfortable coming out.

Help and advice appreciated...

2. LesbianGirl

Tell them, but only when your ready. Sure, they may be surprised, but they will still love you anyway. And if they don't (which is stupid) then you still have your boyfriend. All that matters is that you are happy with who you are. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. But I know how it feels to feel incomplete. It's hard to come out, for anyone of any age. But I know you can do it, honey, because you have people that care about you, and all of us here online.

3. scaredtocomeout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How does one typically come out to their family and friends....I've verbally told those who I trust who are friends...but not others...