1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cute guy absolutely won't leave me alone?!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by puppy1000, Sep 7, 2013.

1. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay that sounds like every gay guys dream but right now I really really want to focus on my studies, I am taking a very hard major and I just got out of a bad relationship. At first I noticed this really handsome guy constantly starring at me, ( I was quite flattered of course). At first I thought he was straight, but I guess not (he played football) It started with just the starring and little coy smiles, the you know "we both got a secret" smile. Although I would not return his smiles but just give him a blank stare and try to avoid him as much as possible as I know I would get tempted, I did not want to get into a relationship at this time...after months of that we became somewhat friends.

The problem is the more I avoid him the more persistent he gets. He would always just "happen" to linger around where I am. Like one time at the library I would sit at this particular table and when he noticed me there, he would sit right across in my row, If I make eye-contact with him he would give me the "Oh what a coincidence!" look, like come onnnn who are you KIDDING? I cannot even concentrate in one of my classes cause he is just there right behind me I can feel the presence of his eyes. He would give me all these nice but somewhat creepy compliments, and I just say... um, thanks? He finds EVERY possible way to touch me, like subtle brushes against my arm and sometimes he would playfully pinch my nipple, and I would ignore/brush it off it along with his RANDOM hugs. I felt like I hurt him whenever I ignore his advances (I can see it on his face)... but it is just so hard not to get tempted. Whenever he could come up to me to give these random hugs I would push it away or move, and he would press his hand on my chest and say "hey dude, whats wrong?" "why are you so mean to me" WHATS WRONG?? are you serious like knock it off...and he would force hug me anyways (I admit I secretly love these)

One time my other friend, him and I were in a photo booth taking pictures and it was really tight space to get in and his lips BRUSHED lightly against mine it was the most awkward thing ever...my other friend did not see but we did not say anything. The second time he kissed me was when we were at this party and he kinda caught me alone by myself since I wasn't having any fun (actually i was pissed at him cause he kept flirting with two of these gay guys, but I have no right to be mad since we weren't dating) I left and and he found me and just said some stuff about me always avoiding him and he proceeded to force a kiss on me which I resisted to but eventually just let him.
    I really want to get in a relationship with him but I am fearing it will jeopardize my time to focus on my studies and yet at the same time I do not want him to date anyone else ( selfish am I?)

What would I do and say to him? He has been driving me crazy...

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Lots of people are able to date and have a social life while at the same time succeeding at their studies. You just have to figure out the right routine to balance between the two.

You have a cute guy who is into you, and it sounds to me like you actually do want to date him, so I would say to go for it. Let him know that you're going to still need time to study and stuff, talk to him about your feelings and concerns. Trust and transparency are necessary in relationships.

But if you really don't want to date him, then just tell him that and explain why. He'll understand.

(Though if I were you I would totally go for it, I wish I had a cute guy obsessing over me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3. Saint Otaku

Just tell him how you feel. To put the words in your mouth "Hey, I realize you have feelings for me, but right now I need to focus on school and I don't have time for a relationship right now."

Of course, you can't expect him to remain exclusive to you, since he seems like such a romantic. It's a grades vs. romance situation. You could always add that you'd be open to a relationship, but he'd have to be mindful to let you have your time -- that is, if you can handle it.

4. Jeph

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're sending mixed signals to him. Either that or he thinks you're being coy and playing hard to get. If you want him to leave you alone, be up front about it and just say you want to focus on your studies. What's wrong with the straightforward (no pun intended) approach?

The other question for you is, are you even interested in this guy? You say he's cute but you seem annoyed or irritated by him. He's clearly interested in you. Best to set the record straight (again no pun intended :slight_smile:).

5. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

It is not that simple if I date him I forgot to mention that I am not completely out..... also I know I sounded annoyed and irritated because of his persistent flirting but I am double majoring in engineering I will have like no social life or time for a relationship whatsoever... I have already kinda mentioned this to him but he just keeps on flirting. But the really hard part (no pun intended) is that I am crushing on him really really badly, and I fear I will lose him.

6. Saint Otaku

Well, if you're not out and not comfortable, then I would back off, and be kind when you tell him. Otherwise, burst forth from that closet!

Not to use your quotes against you, but you did say you went to a party with him, but then you'll have no social life... I'm getting the feeling that you are very torn being squished in that closet door, more so than you say.

7. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Good point Lol, yes I know I mentioned a party but It was during a break and that week I did not have too much of a workload, but I NEVER party like ever, other than that one time.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

Yes I know the thought of having a cute guy obsessing of you is very appealing but, when It actually happens it can be quite hectic and drive you crazy especially if it is not the right time or situation.

8. blueberrymuffin

I mean you could just be honest and leave open the possibility in the future. Of course, he may go onto someone else and you end turning down a potential soul mate. Life presents these difficult choices. One other thing is you could just meet up like once a week or something? At least to maintain his interest and give yourself a break.

9. Californiacoast

What do you think a relationship looks like time wise? I dated a guy in a residency program in Veterinary Medicine and he was hellabusy. We would be sleeping and he would get emergency calls about a dog at 2 am. But ya know, we worked it out. You have to eat. Thus a dinner date. I have hung out with engineering majors at the Air Force Academy and their schedule sucked. But they still got out for dinner, football games and a good night of booze in Colorado Springs! ;-)

10. Aiglatson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go for him. Don't lose this opportunity! Its very hard to come by a guy you like, never mind one that is actually forward about his feelings for you too. Believe me, getting this relationship with him might actually boost your mood and improve your grades. Do not let this chance to be with a truly loving and caring man slip by.

11. BiDad3

Hi Puppy1000.

My boyfriend and I are both in the medical field with crazy schedules (he's still studying). Plus I am happily married with a very understanding wife and have 3 kids (who are my number 1 priority). Some times the only way we can get to see each other is when he is studying (he almost lives at the hospital/university at the moment!). I go to his place with my book / work and keep myself busy while he hits the books. I make him supper / take him coffee and we get to hang out when he has a study break. He is very appreciative that I'm so understanding and supportive and the post studying sessions are a great reward :wink:

We also gym together, have dinner together when we can, etc.

So what I'm trying to say is: if you like this guy and you guys actually TALK about your lives / schedules / expectations etc. you will definitely find a way to make it work. Good luck.

12. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a solution. Give me his number (!)

13. AKTodd

Like others here, I'd say go for it. You've got a guy you admit you really like who seems to really like you.

Are you sure you aren't really more concerned about getting hurt again than your grades? Because it is near impossible and not really healthy to do non-stop studying and NEVER have a social life/take a break in college. Eventually you will burn out and your grades will suffer. On the flip side, having a guy you really like in your life can boost your energy and morale and lead to better grades and discipline because you have soomething to look forward to for free time.

He's in college to and assuming he cares about his grades will also need to study. Have an honest conversation with him about your study concerns and then see about developing coordinated schedules that let you both get the work and studying done as needed and with good grades while also allowing for time together for fun and games (not just in bed but in general). Honest and open communication is the hallmark of every successful relationship and I'd suggest using it as much as you both need.

There's a vast spectrum of options between non-stop studying and non-stop partying. With dedication and practice you can learn to navigate a good path between these two extremes. And it sounds like you've got someone who's interested in walking that path with you.

Go forth, conquer, and have fun.

Todd:thumbsup:

14. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    Go for it! Don't turn down the chance to have a great guy in your life. As Todd said, if you can coordinate your schedules then you can make it work. The idea may seem hard but you have to work to keep any relationship going. Why should yours be any different?

15. SecretlyASloth

I'd say go for it. Really. Be honest with him and tell him that you care about your grades, but you do like him.
    Honesty is the best policy in this case, if you like him.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, if you're going to parties and taking pictures in a photo booth, surely you have enough time to spend with someone who interested in being just with you. Maybe you should tell him if he is able to wait, you will get a better handle on your schedule to find time for him.

Like AKTodd said, you don't want to be kicking yourself if you sacrifice your personal wellbeing just for grades and then find yourself alone. Honestly, you will rarely find as much free time as you will get while being an undergrad. Whether you take a job or are in grad school like me, you will find your free time is much more restricted, and in my case most of my [straight] friends are already in long-term relationships or married.

17. GreyTraveller

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Definitely go for it, if you really want it you can make it work. I'm going through this right now, being with a guy when I'm not totally out. Things can be difficult but a lot of times they work themselves out, it's worth it.

Don't miss your chance! You need happiness or you'll go crazy

P.S. I'm also a double major undergrad

#17 GreyTraveller, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013