1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship with a deadline? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cemma, Sep 8, 2013.

1. cemma

We've known each other for a while but started dating a month ago, we've kept it all a secret due to our ages (17 and 29). We talked a bit about it being a secret mostly until we knew it would work out and it was worth the drama of other people gossiping. The secret thing isn't relevant but sometimes drives me nuts..

He's amazingly supportive, I drunkenly told him I'd dated girls and hes completely ok with it, and is the first person I'd told. He's always looking out for me and making sure I'm happy and is the first person I've ever met who tries to encourage me to stop covering up my SH scars and not care what people think.. I don't know he's just a really great, kind guy.

The issue is he's moving away in three months, we both knew this was happening long before we started dating. But we haven't discussed so much what would happen to our relationship, he's said often he's worried about what will happen, he doesn't want to hurt me, he'll be sad about it, etc but I tend to just tell him we will cross that bridge later because I don't want to have to think about him leaving.

What should we do when that time comes? Do we go long distance, do I let him move on and find someone who makes him happy? I know he'd want to stay friends if it was called off and I'd be ok with that but at the same time I'd hate that that wouldn't give me space from him to get over him..

2. LesbianGirl

Well I think that if you really care about him then try long distance.
    But honey I just want to warn you. That is a pretty big age gap. Though that's not the main part, my parents are 20 years apart so who am I to judge (lol). But the gap wouldn't matter so much if you weren't so young.
    Yes, there is a very good chance that he's a good guy. But you're seventeen. You can't drink and you may not have even graduated high school yet. And he's about to turn 30. I'm worried he might be dating you for your age not your personality.

3. cemma

I know the age gap to anyone on the outside looks bad, I sometimes look at it and wonder if its ok but when we are with each other its not something that ever crosses my mind. If it weren't him I would assume that he was just after me for sex because of the age thing and that he was creepy and surely there are girls far more attractive and interesting than me his age. But we get on so well, he's amazingly nice, despite what he wanted to do put off sleeping with me even though I was keen because he wanted to make sure I was completely ok with it, we talked a lot prior to going out, every day for the three months he was in europe (we got together when he got back) and four or more times a week before that. We considered not taking it further than when we hooked up one night when we shared a taxi home from town (fake id soemtimes I forget its still not legal to drink) becasue we didn't want to ruin the friendship.

Im just still unsure of how to handle him moving away but afraid to bring ht topic up and make decisions..

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me age means nothing in relationship as long as it is healthy and happy. I am dating a guy who is 23 years older than me. Yeah my parents are not so happy about it praying for the day I come to my senses and they think he is a complete scum bag from their perspective. I think you if you both are in love you can try and make it work and if it doesn't work out than at least you tried. What would hurt to at least try and see it if does work. For all you know something great could eventually come out of it. I hope the best for you no matter what happens.

5. cemma

Apart from your parents did you get much grief about it in your social groups etc? Do you find it harder to socialize with him because youre friend groups are different ages or do you not notice?

I guess the biggest thing is I dont know if I should talk to him about what will happen when he leaves and what I would prefer, do I go up there with him? Its a possibility as I still have no plans for next year in terms of uni or work, do we try long distance, do we just stick with friends? The later I couldnt handle I think because I'd never be able to get over him and I think it would cause what we have now to turn into a friends with benefits sitch... never ideal