1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative Parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Werbinich, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Werbinich

I know that this might sound like a coming-out problem but I see it more as my relationship with my parents.

I know that my true friends would accept me for who I am and my homeroom teacher would be a great guidance since she supports LGBT rights wholeheartedly and I will come out to some of them in the next few weeks--already on my agenda.

However, my parents are entirely conventional and of course homophobic and there is no way that I am going to come out to them. Yet I want to plant the seeds of giving acceptance to gays without them knowing so that there'd be a chance, someday...

Anyone has ideas or experience? I really would like to know what you think.

2. daz

daz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure I have any advice in a tactic to manipulate the situation.... but I would like to say that nothing and nobody can inhibit progression.... or hold back human nature. So without even doing anything, just know that the world is heading toward a better place...and it's a huge world, when you're not dependent on them it will be easier to balance your need to tell them with your need to live your life the way you want to do it - where you want to live it. Concentrate on your goals...not looking for ways to please anyone else.

3. Werbinich

Thanks for the advice, maybe things could work out naturally, and in Nature's own way.

Still waiting, though, grins.

4. hiddenxrainbows

I don't really have any advice, because I'm still not out to my dad about anything and I'm already going on 21. But I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. My dad's extremely conservative and religious and he hates anything that has to do with the LGBT community. I've had to listen to his hateful rants about gays and trans, but mostly gays, more times than I want to remember. And I've been on my own for over a year now, so I'm not dependent on him anymore. But I'm still really scared to come out to him for some reason. I have no idea how to tell him about anything, especially being trans. But hopefully one day, I'll figure it out. I might actually burst one day and just tell him, because I am getting sick of him going on his hate rants and me having to bite my tongue and listen to them.

But anyway, I hope that you are able to come out to your parents some day and that they eventually accept it. And if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me! ^_^

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your folks may appear outwardly homophobic, but if they knew about you.. I bet their attitudes could change for the better?

They might sit back and reassess their own values and opinions. You might be pleasantly surprised?

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of parents started out as homophobic and when their kids came out, that's what changed them. People tend to take a whole 'nother view on things when it hits home for them.

7. Werbinich

I'm not so sure, they once accused me vehemently that I'm gay, not that they're wrong but if course I denied it, when they saw that one of my friends liked a photo of two men kissing on Facebook that they thought I was using as a....