1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Straight" Dilemma

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GarytheGG, Sep 14, 2013.

1. GarytheGG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello there everyone, this is my first post, and as many people here have done before, I've been reading posts from this forum for a few months now and decided to make one because I have some issues. Sorry if it seems abrupt but let's cut to the chase.

Well, as the title suggests, I'm in a very confusing dilemma, a supposed "straight" one at that. Typically, gay boys like me have probably fallen for at least one straight guy in their life. This one seemed to be no different, but deep inside, I had a gut feeling he was bi. My attraction to him was nothing more than "Oh, I think he's cute, too bad we aren't close." That all changed recently when I started hanging out with him more. The feelings slowly grew and grew until I couldn't handle it anymore. He was touchy with me. He'd grab my arm out of no where and I'd ask him why, and he'd just reply "nothing" with a smile. He was giving me these looks that seemed to pause time for a moment. All of that stuff gradually got to me, and I fell deeper into the pit of love. He told me that he cared for me. He told me that he really wants us to be good friends. Here's the thing though, he likes one of my closest girl friends.

As my attraction grew, the more and more I got jealous of them talking. Seeing them talk sparked a flame in me that I could not explain. Of course I was not going to act on it because she was on of my best friends, but I took it out on him. Every single day, it was a non-stop ignore fest between me and him. He would talk to me, and I would just walk away. He'd be sad and all of that, though I didn't know how sad. One day, one of my other close friends told me that he was all depressed about how I was ignoring him, and of course, I felt terrible. That weekend I apologized to him, and he sent me this text. He sent me, "Promise me that no matter what happens, you will never give up on this friendship. I know it won't be a smooth ride." Of course, I promised that to him, and he did as well.

From then on, it was a semi-smooth ride, we talked normally, like good friends did. He'd text me everyday, but it reached this point where the jealousy took over. I had a massive breakdown, and two of my closest friends told me it was best to just avoid him because it wasn't healthy. I thought about it and I agreed. I talked to him the next day telling him that it wasn't good for me anymore with what we had going on. I told him that I needed to avoid him for myself and for everyone else because it was taking a toll on them as well. I immediately left because I didn't want it to be any more awkward. I left one of my guy friends there, so I decided to go back and talk to him. Lo and behold, my crush was on the verge of tears. He was red all over and was just listening to music. No one has ever seen him that way, so I knew I must've affected him greatly. At that moment, I decided to admit to him. I told him that I liked him, and of course, he said he was straight and that it wouldn't work out. I told him that I still needed the space, and that l can't keep the promise because of my feelings, but he did the exact opposite.

He kept talking to me, even though I clearly didn't want to. I'd feel all bad because the look on his face was of some sort of sadness. That weekend we had this big trip where the whole high school was part of, it was an overnight thing. During the bus ride, I noticed that he kept looking at me, long stares that I caught from the corner of my eye. That night I got into some trouble for showering in a girl's room, and I had to talk to one of the teachers. I came back into the dining hall of the place, and he was literally at the opposite side of the room. He walked all the way over and gave me some sort of hug and asked if I was alright. I just nodded and he left. Later that night I went up to the presidential suite (the seniors were sharing that) with one of my friends, and that friend told me he was looking at my direction the whole time. That night as well, she caught him glancing at me a few times, and same in the morning.

Over the weekend I kept hearing stuff about how he's spreading rumors about my close friends and I called him up and told him that I've had enough of what he's been doing to me and my friends. He then started shouting at me most of which I didn't understand. Then at the end of the call we both agreed that it would never go back to normal after what happened. We ignored each other, we didn't look at each. Three days later, I noticed that he was looking at me a lot during class. His body was completely directed towards mine, even though the teacher was the exact opposite direction. It was weird, because he'd normally be facing the front listening.

Now here's the dilemma: He says he's straight right? He says that it would never work out, and I specifically told him to give me space, but he's been showing even more signs the moment I told him I liked him. I just need to know, am I just being delusional or could something actually be going on in his mind to question his sexuality? I just really need some input here because it's killing me inside. Thanks so much!

2. confused1234

I feel for you, man. That's some really confusing behavior. I don't think you're delusional, but I don't necessarily think he's questioning his sexuality either. He may just be a really sensitive straight guy who doesn't want to lose a good friend.

You should probably tell him that the signals he's sending you are making it really difficult for you to be around him. Maybe he'll back off a bit and you guys can be friends.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the problem here isn't whether he's straight or not, but rather that, despite clear statements on your part, he won't leave you alone. And despite clear explanations on why you need the space, he won't give it. He's even starting to include your friends in this, via the rumors and such.

Maybe he does feel attracted to men. Maybe he even feels attracted to you. But the behavior that he's showing isn't exactly healthy, and if there's something in the cards here, it's well in the future, after he's had time to sort through his own issues.

For now, he claims to be straight, and he doesn't respect you or your friends. This isn't boyfriend material - I say, ignore him on all fronts.

4. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are not delusional, he is sending you mixed signals.. Seeing as the two of you are close maybe you could open up and tell him that the mixed signals are confusing, and that if he is bisexual that he can open up to you or something like that.. Seeing as you told him and it just made him acknowledge you more, I really think he is having conflicting feelings inside of him.. he knows he is supposed to like girls, however he has feelings for you and he is frustrated and confused and that's what I believe lead to the shouting on the phone incident.. he is scared of his feelings and I know personally I was scared about my feelings for a while before I could accept or even acknowledge them.. You should try and maybe be an outlet for him but not at your own expense.. Tell him your there for him if he ever needs it but he cannot keep giving you mixed signals because it isn't healthy for you either... im sorry for the situation you are in I know how much it could kill you up inside

5. June Cleaver

Yes this is sound advise! Just think of the daily drama you would go through if he was your boyfriend. I also advise you to ignore and leave this one alone at all costs and he will eventually stop and go on with his life. Good luck, June

6. GarytheGG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the input so far. And to answer bazinga, we aren't close anymore. After the phone incident, I avoided him at all costs. I do agree that it is unhealthy for me, but the thing is, I can't get all of the things he said to me out of my head. One day when I was pissed (same jealousy reason, before I told him), he told me my smile would make his day...

7. confused1234

I have never met a straight guy who would say that to another dude. If I had to bet, he's struggling with his sexuality.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will disagree a little and say you should not completely avoid him but instead focus on yourself. You need to learn how to overcome your crush on him so his presence doesn't affect you so much. In my case, this usually means finding other crushes or getting to know the person as not some idealized individual but just another mortal with flaws.

Since he knows you like him, you could try to "friendzone" him but be very clear in repeating that you don't want him to keep giving you the wrong impression (be specific on the things that make you uncomfortable).