1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disgust

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Carpe Noctem, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I came out to a close straight friend, and he said that since he is disgusted by homosexuals he is gonna ignore the fact that I like guys and we'll stay friends if we pretend this conversation never hapened. Does this mean that if I never bring up the whole homosexuality thing we'll stay as we were or that he'll never actually forget it and all he'll feel towards me now is disgust even if he says he doesn't? I hate losing friends, and losing one for something that I didn't choose and I that I can't help changing will make me fall in a hell of a depression (depressions get me all the time and I hate them), but isn't it just hypocrisy to keep in touch with someone who feels disgust towards you ?

2. ScatteredEarth

I think you should drop him from your life I'm sorry to say. He obviously isn't worth having as a friend and to be honest he disgusts me.

3. aznboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @Carpe Noctem:

I agree with ScatteredEarth. It's hard to realize this when you're younger...you likely have had the same group of friends for 10+ years (esp if you grow up in the same city/town and don't move) and losing one or two friends can seem devastating. But it's a much bigger world out there and you'll get over losing friends who were/are never really true friends. You still have a full life ahead of meeting more interesting, open, awesome people. Don't let this get you down!

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly? It's my opinion that people like that aren't worth keeping around. You're gonna be wondering what he really thinks of you pretty frequently since he's made his opinions on homosexuality pretty obvious.

But on the other hand I know it can be tough. I have a friend right now that I hang out with a lot, she's LGB supportive but I get the sense she doesn't think very highly of trans people. Do I tell her, and possibly lose her friendship, or do I keep quiet for now?

If you come to the conclusion that this friend isn't worth keeping, don't let it depress you. There's plenty of other people that are more worth your time in that case. Ones that you can guarantee won't feel disgust towards you. :slight_smile:

5. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't sound at all like a friend worth having. Someone who is disgusted by a fundamental part of who you are is a bigot, and his willingness to "look the other way" is condescending and demeaning. You deserve better than this.

6. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, doesn't sound like a great friend to me.

7. He will indeed never actually forget it, that's for sure. Especially since he is quite homophobic, he will continuously be reminded.

You say: "losing one for something that I didn't choose and I that I can't help changing will make me fall in a hell of a depression". Yeah, I understand that. But you should also consider what it would do with you when you DID stay friends with him. You can't ever fully be yourself, you always have to hide a part of you. Is that what you want? Doesn't that do more harm than losing a 'friend'? A friend must be someone who likes you because of your personality. If someone threatens to let go of you if you talk about the whole homosexual thing, it isn't a real friend.

8. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry,He aint a true friend
    A true friend would be like "If this cool fella is what a gay is,why do I have problems with the gay?"

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, he is a disgusting person, but maybe he never really has thought hard about this issue (which is why he wants to pretend nothing happened). You have to remember that you have had a long time to come to terms with your sexuality; coming out to others means they go through a loss/grieving process, of which denial is one of the first steps. If you really want to salvage this friendship, you should see what happens in the near future because maybe he will change his ideas once he gets to know you.

In the process, you should not try to go out of your way and appease him by "acting straight". That said, if he continues to act homophobic toward you or others, then IMO you should confront him about it and say you do not judge him when he talks about girls. If the "irreconcilable differences" persist, then drop him.

10. Ohhai

Great friend he is...

11. Deaderpool2

strongly agree with this. you do not want a friend who makes you feel bad for being the way you are, it will no longer be fun to hang out with that person as you will constantly question whether or not you are "offending" him. guy sounds like a dick.
    i dont know which part of the world you are in but if you are starting to come out to people then i am guessing soon you will be thinking of going to gay bars and stuff, you will soon make new friends who get you and will not judge you.
    you could also see if there are any glbt youth groups, most take on people till they are 22 or at least mine did, another good way to make new friends.
    i know it will be hard but if he can say such things without taking your feelings into account you should drop him like the sack of :***: he clearly is.
    take care and dont let that :***: get you down. x

12. James1991

James1991 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keeping people in your life you know are ashamed of you will only hold you back. That is not friendship. It will only hurt you in your development in the long run.

13. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    *Sarcastic voice* What an amazing friend he is, I couldn't think of anyone I would rather have around me!

14. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and tell you to give him a month to change his tune, but no. Don't do it. I think you need to cut him out of your life for now.

Essentially, you trusted him enough as a friend to be incredibly vulnerable and share who you are with him. His response was to say you disgust him so you better pretend to be straight. That reaction alone proves he is not worthy of your trust or friendship. I hope he will realize the error of his judgement, but he needs to apologize before you let him back into your life. It's just not healthy for you to be around someone who is disgusted by your perfectly natural sexual orientation.

15. Deaderpool2

i can see why its difficult if he is a close friend, theres no need to be sarcastic about it. that said i still think he is not good for you op

16. blueberrymuffin

That's so ridiculous and such a cruel reaction. Ask if he's disgusted by you i guess. I mean how can he say that and just 'ignore' that you're gay. That really makes no sense at all. Well, for self respect purposes and because who needs bigot friends, I would definitely drop him. Every time you're together it's probably gonna eat at you. I can see how it's depressing, but you shouldn't go 'back in' the closet for his sake.

17. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah pretty much.

18. RoguesWolfe

There's always going to be that one person who can't accept it. They may act like everything is fine but in their head it'll never be the same. I know how it goes, I've lost people because of it.

19. He will never really forget that you like guys. He'll think of it everytime he sees you. But honestly, he's not worth having as a friend. If he can't accept this small part of you, even though he's known you for a while and could judge you for YOU, why keep him around? Cut him out of your life and save yourself the trouble.

20. RocketMoose27

<Insert what every poster above me said here>

Drop him(If only that were literal :badgrin:slight_smile:, don't look back, and forget about his very existence.