1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told Boyfriend about my mental Health Issues

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Englishlad, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Englishlad

I have finally told my boyfriend about my mental health issues now I think I have lost him. I am sure it's scared him away. :frowning2:

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi... what was his reaction exactly
    and how did you tell him (email or in person??)
    this all makes a difference

3. Englishlad

His reaction wasn't good. He just walked away. I am lost and afraid. :frowning2:

4. monotone

Well, I don't know if a long-term relationship is possible with you having to hide your issues from him.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK - as people often fear the worst in these situations, this is what it could mean:

He may have just found himself unable to react 'on the spot'. Maybe he hasn't had time to process it and he'll come back to talk. Sometimes I can just 'park' information and then can't process it for a few days so it may not be such a bad thing - just wait and see?

(You don't have to say what the health issue is but ...) maybe he did not understand what it is and what it really means in terms of managing a relationship/ the future.

Just some ideas.

I hope he gets back to you on this. Walking away wasn't very clever of him (to say the least !)

(*hug*)

6. Englishlad

Your right. I only hide it because I was worried about telling him.

7. June Cleaver

I have been in remission three times now since Jan 1996 when I was first diagnosed and I was scared to tell Mike as he might think it would come back and kill me especially because I still smoke more than a burning haystack! Guess what, He did not care and said none of us are guaranteed tomorrow and we would get through whatever comes along together much to my suprise.

If your guy does not have your back on something like this and be supportive than he just does not care about you the way he should for a lasting relationship. After all how can you depend on him? I would say if he does not come around and is supportive of your needs, than GOOD REDDENS! I know that sounds harsh, but would you rather find out later that he does not care? Like running around with one of your friends or relatives? Or not being by your side if you were to be hospitalized? Lots of things come to mind and it goes back to he should love you unconditionally, or don't trust him with your heart!

You really did not give us much to go on, but I got the basic idea. Tell us if he comes back and what happens next. Good luck! June

#7 June Cleaver, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. Englishlad

I haven't heard from him since he walked out that was 24 hours ago. I can't have some one like that in my life. It's not going so good at the moment.

9. June Cleaver

24 hours is way too long! I agree totally with you, I would probably not accept that either. A couple hours is one thing, but days is something else! I am so sorry for you because I know how it hurts when you are in love and you find out he is not! Love can just suck! June

10. Englishlad

It's hurting a lot I really thought he was the one.

11. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Im not really sure what the case was but I told my girlfriend about my mental illness and though it took her some time for her to fully understand, she is my biggest support.. he should have said something to you by now, but maybe it is taking some time to digest, and sink it with him.. but if he doesn't understand, and isn't will to be your biggest support, he isn't the guy for you.. he should be your number one fan and it shouldn't matter, im sorry for the situation you are in but keep the faith, the right person will love you, all of you for everything you are

12. June Cleaver

Hunny I know it does, but it just means you have not met him yet if it does not work out. I lost my partner in 1996 to a work related accident. I thought my life was over! I spent till 2008 waiting to die! Counting down the days... Then in 2004 I sold my house in my home town and moved 1000 miles away. I found no life there so I sold the new house 8 months later in2005 and moved back to my home state but 250 miles from my home town where I saw my current house while I was lost on a Sunday drive in summer of 2005, which I knew it was important I buy this house for some reason. It is in the country, so I wondered for three years how my future would find me in the middle of nowhere. So I waited......

Three years later I met this guy at church Ken who perused me hard. Though I dated him for 6 months I felt nothing for him which puzzled me and I began to think I was dead inside and wanted to be dead the rest of the way. Then I moved Ken in because I felt it was the thing to do. Well one month later I could not stand the abuse and cheating going on as he endlessly talked about sex with endless women. I was about to ask him to leave when he brought his cousin Mike to meet me at a funeral. I fell deeply in love with Mike the moment our eyes met (Love at first sight) which was a shock as I thought I had dead inside and could not feel love again but this was stronger than anything I had ever felt before. Well I put up with Ken 3 more years to be close to Mike, wanting Mike. Finally I could not stand Ken any more and broke it off sending him packing tired of waiting for Mike to notice me as I just wanted to die.

Well 2 years later he contacted me and I found out he had also had fell in love at first sight all those years ago and wanted to find out more but was put off by my male body which confused him as he is straight. Much to his relief he found out I really am female which was a relief to him to find out he was not crazy and his feelings are OK. Well we are living happily ever after and the rest is history as we get closer by the day! I left tons out but you should get the point. If this one is not the one for you, follow your feelings as you will find the one when the time is right.

For me I thought it happened at 22yo but lost him at 24yo and gave up on life, but my real true love I did not meet till 36yo and I got him at 40yo as with age I now know enough to really have a deep lasting relationship. I was not ready at 22yo though we did have it good. So at your age you may be ready for the one, or maybe you need to date plenty more to gain the experience and knowledge you need to have that relationship with a man you will grow old with. Just something to think about! I hope you can find something in my experience to give you perspective you might need. June

13. Californiacoast

If they love you, they love all of you. There is a guy out there who will do just that.