1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shy guy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mojoe, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mojoe

So I recently met someone through a dating site. We seemed to really hit it off, messaging back and forth multiple times w day for a week or so. Now we've been texting for the last few weeks. At this point I'm really wanting to go on w date and meet him in person. I've brought it up a few times and seems receptive to the idea. Problem is, he's told me he's very shy in situations like this. Because of this we haven't actually met yet. How can I make him feel more comfortable and get past his shyness?

2. LinkLarkin

Hmm that's a tough one... but my first thought is suggesting an activity that allows you to spend time together but without the pressure of having to constantly interact, like going to watch a movie or something. That way he can get used to being around you before he has to come out of his shell too much.

3. aquartertosix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could have a little chat on Skype to ease off the tension. Maybe then he'll feel a bit more comfortable around you when you two go on a date.

4. Sully

My first thought was the exact opposite! I'd go for something that needs heaps of interaction! Not like full on getting to know you conversation, but interacting about something in the environment. Like going to a zoo or something, there heaps of stuff to distract you, it can lead into more getting to know you conversations about stuff like environment and conservation. I guess it really depends on what you're both I interested in? The theatre could be great, go to the arty part of the city you live in and see a small show, they're often pretty interactive with the audience, gives you something to talk about after, gay friendly (...it's the theatre for Christs sake :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), nice vibe, get a few drinks (if you're old enough).

Stuff like that. Sitting awkwardly in a poorly chosen movie, yech! Not my idea of a good time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. mojoe

Yeah my first thought was something that would require interaction but would also offer distractions. We both like nature and the outdoors. Was thinking of suggesting we go on a sort of hike together? What do you all think of maybe going to a stand up comedy show for a first date? I just want him to feel comfortable. I myself am rather shy and am quite nervous about meeting in person but I feel this guy is worth stepping outside my comfort zone for.

6. LinkLarkin

What about a wildlife refuge? That offers more distractions than a hike and probably gives you more to talk about.

Stand up comedy is a tricky one. People tend to either love it or hate it, so it may not be the best suggestion for a first date. Third or fourth maybe, then he'll be comfortable enough with you to share his feelings about it instead of just going along with it to please you.

7. Sully

Good thoughts!

I like the idea of a hike, maybe look into if there's any really nice spots close by to you? Waterfalls and stuff like that?