1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't approach new people?!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainyViolinist, Sep 18, 2013.

1. RainyViolinist

Hiyee! So for the past few weeks I've been making a serious effort to make friends at my new school, and I've been slightly successful, but it's only because they have come up to me or I was forced (not sure what a nicer term is) to work with them. My terrible friend-making ability stems from the fact that it's nigh impossible for me to approach a person and talk to them, which is pretty much an essential in order to make friends. This is probably due to my extreme self-consciousness, since I always am worrying about how I present myself, what I should say, what others think of me, and so on. Is there anything I can do to bypass my insecurity and shyness and strike up a conversation with someone? Any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ask them questions about things they're interested in. People love to talk about themselves; though, sometimes this backfires when you meet someone who talks too much.

3. What I do when I want to be friends with someone specific: I look on their Facebook profile - what their interests are, what they like to talk about (in my case it was something with stupid things in the world), what music they like, etc. I learn a bit more about their interests and listen to some of the music they like, so that when they are going to talk about that, I can relate to it a bit. I always find at least something that interests us both.

Then I'm going to walk next to that person and say hi, and, well, obviously he'll say hi back and then I'll talk about 'yeah, I was just listening to *band the person next to me likes* and I didn't hear that band for a long time! So I was kinda shocked :slight_smile:'. Something like that, and then he (or she)'ll say something like: 'wow, I LOVE that band'. And then he/she knows we have something in common and it will be easier for me to talk to him/her again.

But I'm a bit weird :wink:

:king: