1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mistaken for straight and not fixing it--bad?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by oddlife35, Sep 18, 2013.

1. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've moved to a new town and have been making new friends at work. I think most of them assume that I'm straight. This week for some reason, the females at work keep saying stuff like, "Which girls do you think are cute?" and stuff like that. I don't say I'm straight, but I don't say that I'm not straight. The main thing is is that I haven't come out to my family yet, so I don't want to come out to these new friends before I tell my family. Also, I'm new at being publicly gay and I don't have a partner, so it's really awkward to be gay in front of straight people. But I feel like what I'm doing is wrong since I'm almost ready to come out, but it's just not the right time for me... or maybe I'm just copping out? Do you guys feel the same way?

2. Abbra

Coming out of the closet isn't a race. It isn't wrong to not answer at this point, because you still aren't fully out. Just don't lie about it or anything and just take your time with answering. It gets easier once you are out to everybody. You are just in the awkward and pimply stage of homosexuality. Being open gets easier, just don't stress yourself too much about coming out. You have to do everything at your own pace.

3. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Abbra. It is difficult to out yourself, but the difficult part about that is wanting to have a partner so badly. And really I believe the best way to get a partner is to be out. And it just feels like everything is going so slowly in this process. Because I know that even when I'm out, it's not like I'll find a partner right away. So I just feel like I'm waiting for my life to begin. But maybe it's for the best to let things happen at a slower pace, to be comfortable with my gay skin for awhile before diving head long into a romantic relationship. I'm still learning about what it means that gay just doesn't mean sex.

4. Tic Code

I'm actually in a similar situation right now. I desperately want to be out to everyone, but I'm really afraid of the social and relational repercussions it could have at this point, since I'm still in high school, especially since my sisters don't know yet and I feel like they have a right to know before I tell more people outside our family. I keep telling myself to wait until college, but I'm really impatient, and pretending to be something I'm not is really not my thing.

So trust me, I know how you feel :wink: it seems like both of us just need to be a bit more patient and take it slow, even though it's tough.

5. method

You are not alone buddy!

If you say you feel ready to come out, the obstacle which you're probably facing then is just fear of the unknown. It's all just about facing that fear (which I know is easier said than done, given that my natural tendency is to avoid the fear by procraaaaaaastination). Baby steps though, you got this.

6. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, it's tough to find the right time and moment to share with my family. I think I'm just waiting for the perfect time, but that "perfect" time will never come. In a sense, I have to make that time and just go for the plunge. This weekend?? Then I can get this all behind me. Let's see.

Still, coming out is not just one step, though the first step is important. When do I tell each person, friend, etc. Especially those I've let feel that I'm straight. Will they feel betrayed? I hope not. But in another sense, it feels immature of me to keep it a secret. But in another way, it's still nice to feel like I can pass off as straight.

7. darth vader

Feels like walking on eggshells.. I also experience the same thing at work and among my friends who don't know. They tirelessly want to set me up with different gals who are available. It's making me sick really. At times I just want to scream to the whole world who I really am and what I really want.. But it's never easy.. You have to consider a lot of factors.

8. penguin machine

I have only two people at work who know about me. One has a big mouth so that can be pretty helpful in getting the word out there. She called me over to a window to check out a guy, in front of a coworker. I hope he took the hint lol I'm not just some straight guy who happens to be the authority on whether or not a dude is hot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Have I come out to anyone at work though? No, I will wait til it comes up. I've been careful to say "my ride" instead of "my boyfriend."

9. Pat

Pat

Eh, mixing your personal life into work can be messy. You can try to weasel out by saying you'd rather not say, but they'll probably ask if you're gay. I mean, if you don't want to tell them, just tell them that you're seeing someone.. I mean, I don't like to help others make shit up, but I get what you're saying about wanting to tell family first, but it's not always practical. If you want to get the pressure off, just tell them you'd prefer to keep your personal life to yourself. They'll think you're a dick haha, but so what!

10. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi DarthVadar, good to hear from you. yeah it's the same with me. After telling my family, I'm feeling like then it wont really matter at work. My goal is by Coming Out Day to start coming out to my friends. Maybe I'll just wear a T-shirt or wear a button or something. Again, I dont feel I can find available and interested and interesting guys if I'm not really out locally.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2013 at 02:13 PM ----------

Hey Penguin, I find it interesting that you feel the need to be a bit closeted at work even though you already have a boyfriend. i think having a partner already would make it easier to be out at work. But I guess it depends on your work. On the other hand it makes sense that you're not just announcing it to everyone, because... Why would you need to? But again why hide the fact that he's your boyfriend? Sorry to pry. Just curious, I guess.

---------- Post added 20th Sep 2013 at 02:18 PM ----------

Hey Pat. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, at my work actually there are a few couples and we actually meet a lot of co-workers' partners. So it's pretty open. Actually people end up as couples at my work because they have similar interests and I think I would do the same if I found someone at work. That's why I eager to be out at work. The more I'm understood as straight, the more awkward it'll be when I'm out, and then I may be missing opportunities to meet some cool gay guys that I may be interested in. Again, just got to decide on when to tell my family.

11. darth vader

God, why does coming out have to be so hard? You feel like you're in purgatory suffering unnecessarily. Yeah, I think so too. If I come out to my family, things will be SO much easier. BUT, you know, it wouldn't be easy in one sense because our families will have a hard time to adjust. Think about the things that they have to go through after they find out about us. They have to face inquiries, criticisms, condescending remarks from other people on our behalf. Relatives, coworkers, friends, neighbors, people in the church etc. You see? Our families will also face the stigma and discrimination to a certain extent. All these years, this has been keeping me, preventing me, from coming out to them!

12. Werbinich

To me, it is nearly impossible for me to cone out to anyone in my family since all of them are homophobic. However, it isn't that hard to come out to some of my best friends since they are knowing and willing to support me.

So people in your family are only bonded to you by blood. That's different from friendship and I would advise you to start with those you feel most comfortable with, still relatives could also be your friends, it depends on what you see them as.

13. LILuke

You are 100% not the only one in this kind of situation. As far as anyone around me knows I'm totally straight, and I never bother to correct them or tell them otherwise because...well frankly because right now it's none of their f'ing business! If and when I want to tell them I will, and not a second before - and you shouldn't feel pressured to tell people you don't want to either.