1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Jocks i need your help with this crush!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by swifter, Sep 20, 2013.

1. swifter

swifter Guest

OK so a little background information:

I recently started school and i have my eyes fixated on this guy who is in the basketball and football team, so definitely a crush on a jock. but i want to have a nice conversation, and possibly become good friends. A friend told me a little bit about him, and he likes to watch sports, and i don't like it that much, watching sports is just not my thing. he loves watching the NBA, NFL, CFL and NHL. I already have a straight friend who plays and watches soccer, and when he starts to talk about the games, is just me nodding and wowing and trying to sound like i know what he is talking about, but he knows i rather play it than watch it, i met him because he is the son of my dad's friend so it was just luck. So i'm afraid he will start to talk about "what this basketball player once did and then he led the team to the finals and stuff". We are on our last year so not much time to get to know each other. I like playing any sport i will just need 30 minutes to warm up and i become a killing machine >x).

This is where i need your help, how can i start a conversation with him? of course being all casual and look like i don't want to cuddle with him for the rest of my life :3, how can you approach someone like him? or how do usually girls or gay guys approach you? how do you approach other jocks?

2. Pat

Pat

Aww. This is cute. I'll tell you like I tell everyone else here, with tough love. You have to have a genuine interest in this person. Liking someone because they're cute doesn't make you compatible for one another. My mother knows a shit load about sports.. you know why? Because her son loves sports! She knows that if she wants to bond with me, sports is the quickest way to do it. She doesn't like it enough to watch it with me, but she knows enough to make a man satisfied. If you don't want to put that work in, then you're likely never going to be friends. Now, if you want to try to get in with him, you're going to have to play sports with him, but don't expect him to want to be warm and fuzzy, he'll likely want to keep the conversation sports related. It can and will work if you put effort into him though. In the course of watching or playing sports, throw in some of your own questions to be more acquainted with him. Asking him where he's from or what he likes. Really get to know him and you'll be fine. No one here can tell you a different way to get to a jock unless he's gay of course. If he's not gay and bi curious, the only way to get the curious side out would be to relate to him and then push the envelope a little because he'll feel comfortable with you at that point. Safeguard your emotions though dude. It can be painful to be rejected. If you can't see yourself being his friend on the sports level, then don't anticipate much else.

3. Gen

Gen

In my opinion, regardless of whether you are seeking a friend or relationship, anyone that can not hold a conversation with you outside of any specific topic is probably not a good applicant for the job.

From beginning to present, there are very few friends and acquaintances that I have had who I genuinely shared common hobbies and interests, outside of classes, organizations, etc (Loving reading and writing as hobbies will often make things that way). Yet I have always been very social and gotten along well with various different types of people.

One of my best friends(And past romance, but we're not going to get into to that) in middle school and early high school was a sports junkie, and we were basically attached at the hip for quite a few years. It wasn't difficult. He knew I was not the one to seek to talk about sports. He discussed them with other friends. Its that simple.

Sure, its nice if you have mutual hobbies with friends, but a large reason to have a hobby to begin with is to entertain you when you are bored. If you can't enjoy yourself with someone without outside stimulation, then you should probably seek companionship elsewhere. In regards to this guy in particular, its always a toss up, but regardless I would just try to talk to him and see who he actually is as a person. Just because he enjoys sports doesn't mean they are the center of his life.

4. Pat

Pat

True, great post. The use of the word "jock" made me respond more favorably to the idea that the guy is going to be consumed with sports, whether for pleasure or for the fact that he's involved with team sports. There's always a place for someone special to get in there and know the other side of him, but without any evidence that he could be gay, it sounds like you're just going out on a limb to see if there's a chance. If you want to be with a curious dude, you do have to play on their own terms for a while. I've been there and done that, and it'll leave you feeling pretty damn empty on your list of needs.

5. Californiacoast

Well, I was a jock and I was gay. I was hit on by Frat boys in college that had no interest in Football, and I was fine with it. I played football at a Div 1 school and my jock buddies and I talked about alot of other stuff than sports. I think you should relate to his other interests as well.

6. swifter

swifter Guest

i'll think about it, thanks!!

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 04:39 PM ----------

in my whole life i've had to put so many fake faces, i'm a goth, i'm an otaku, i'm a jock, i'm a quiet/shy guy when people speak to me, i'm outgoing when you talk to me, i am a serious reader/writer, i'm childish, i can be a geek, i can be "straight-acting" around guys, i can be girly around gals, i can be very intuitive, i don't give any of the F's, i'm too empathetic, i'm an asshole, i'm very sensitive, i care, you name it! the point is i become a different person around different people, and "copy" their personalities, and get along very well with them.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

however, there is a problem, the only time i think we have ever talked and kept a conversation, was last year on march, when he was passing out math exams and he told me "wow you had the highest mark" and i said "oh yeah? *chuckles*" then he responded "maybe you could help me next time haha" then i repied "maybe *blushes*". We didn't talk to each other ever again. we don't even have a class that we both attend to, to even ask for homework help.

I just want him to at least call me a "friend of his", because the same thing happened my other jock friend, i had a choking crush on him but got over it, because i thought to myself: "we are different but we get along, we are only good friends, nothing more than a good friendship" and so far we play soccer, volleyball or basketball every weekend. if he isn't gay at least i'll have another good friend :3.

7. swifter

swifter Guest

hmmm... you got a point well i've decided to give up on him, just because i wouldn't want to change his life, the way is going it seems like he is happy, but i don't want to be a gray cloud.