1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting the Family...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pinklov3ly, Sep 20, 2013.

1. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, pretty much my girlfriend wants me to meet her family, but I am not ready. I mean, I would love to make her happy and do so, but I'm terrified! I'm not in the best position in my life and I feel like they're going to think that she can do better than me. It makes me feel like shit because I'm currently unemployed, but seeking employment, I have a Bachelors degree that is collecting dust and I am a single mother. So, I have nothing to offer my girlfriend, but my time and love, which should be good enough. Perhaps, for my girlfriend, but what if I'm not good enough for her family?

Tomorrow is the big day and I'm about to puke. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just relax and be yourself. Let your girlfriend worry about her family. I know it is nerve wracking but she is into you and she believes you are good enough. Don't put yourself down and make the decision for them before you have even met them. Let them make the decision themselves. Just take a deep breath and try and relax.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much and you're right. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it because my nerves are going to get the best of me. I seriously do not know how to relax. It would have been different if she surprised me, but because I've had time to prepare for it, my anxiety is in overload :frowning2:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if you don't manage it perhaps explain to your girlfriend that you do want to meet them but that she should just spring it on you next time.

5. BiPenguin

I understand that. Being unemployed is nasty and society does like to look down on people who are in financial/employment crises even when there is a recession on. The important thing is that you talk this through with her. Regarding your nervousness, that will always be the way. Embrace that fear and own it.

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much! Because apparently, I'm meeting them this weekend and I think I am ready. If they don't like me because I'm jobless then oh well, I'm dating my girlfriend not them. And my girlfriend loves me for who I am.