1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Approach

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CollegeStudent, Sep 23, 2013.

1. This might be a long read but please stay with it as I could really use some advice! I think you might be able to relate to this too in one way or another:

I had a class with a guy I found attractive two years ago at a community college. We'll call him "Alex". I would get the feeling that someone was watching me in this class and as I looked over, I noticed him staring at me and he would quickly (and very awkwardly look away).It happened a few more times. Nothing ever came of it though and the semester ended.

At the time I was much more uncomfortable with my sexuality. I didn't have the courage to talk to my friends about my sexuality or LGBT things. You know they say "if you aren't comfortable with yourself then you can't be comfortable with others." I couldn't agree more.

Since that time, I have come out to close family members and friends. If anyone asks, I tell them I am gay. I've become more comfortable with it. I figure if someone cannot accept me for who I am, then I shouldn't be concerned with them. :eusa_naug

Anyways, as time passed I began hearing more bits and pieces about Alex in different circles. I heard he was into theater, a nursing student, has a similar sense of humor, and that he came out to a close friend of his. We'll call that close friend of his "Tessa". I didn't know Tessa, but, I knew her good friend "Christina."

I got drunk one night and told Christina that I was interested in him. Christina went and told Tessa. Things cooled down a bit after that. You'll learn why this is important a little later.

Here's the most current news: My best friend "Danielle" is neighbors with Alex. Another friend of mine "Katy" worked with Alex for the past few years.

Danielle: Alex wished Danielle a happy birthday on Facebook recently. Danielle asked Alex to hang out. Danielle and Alex have never been close but Alex happily obliged. Alex and Danielle began discussing their nursing majors, validations, clinicals, etc. The facebook messages kind of died down.

Katy: Extremely well liked in the community. Worked with Alex. They grew apart over time because Katy became involved in a serious relationship. Alex usually attends the parties that Kelly throws.

Phone Conversation: I had Katy reach out to Tia. I asked Katy to use her best judgement during while texting her. She fell somewhat short.
    Katy: Is Andrew gay? I heard he came out to you.
    Tessa: No, he's not. All of his gay friends think he's straight too.
    Katy: What if I told you someone I know is interested in him?
    Tessa: Is it [says my name]? :eek:
    Katy: ...yeah it is actually.
    Tessa: I know. Christina told me. Look, I'm not really sure...
    Katy: Alright, thanks!
    Tessa: Sure!

I personally feel she does know but is keeping it a secret so that she doesn't violate her best friends privacy or trust.

Here's what it comes down to: How do I talk and approach him? Should I call Tessa and tell her I swear to keep it a promise (which I solemnly would). Should I have Danielle try to get closer? Or, should I have Katy throw a party and hope he attends?

How should I go about meeting him?

:help:

2. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    The party idea seems like a pretty good one.

3. Momosboy

Agreed. But, if you just meet him, don't make it awkward. If it's set up, it could, in theory, work. I hope you two fall in love.

4. Californiacoast

Go up to him an invite him to help you with a volunteer project. Mention the fact you were in class together. Too subtle?

5. A volunteer project? I think that the party is the best option. I'm going to have Katy throw a party and she's all for it! I've got drinks, food, and music planned. I'm hoping he shows up.