1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know why girls can be manly but men can't be girly?It seems very unfair!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tea, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Tea

Tea

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't understand why it is like that! for men it seems like a huge no no and that makes me frustrated because i can't be who i feel i am!:bang:

#1 Tea, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Re: Does anyone know why girls can be manly but men can't be girly?It seems very unfa

Because we live in a society that values masculinity over femininity. So when a woman is "manly", she's moving up on the social ladder, but when a man is "girly", he's moving down it.

3. Northern

Re: Does anyone know why girls can be manly but men can't be girly?It seems very unfa

For Halloween I am actually planning on going as a gender stereotype... But the other way around, so instead of being super macho I plan on wearing heels and stuff. People at my school are kind of gender role freaks so I plan on shaking it up a bit.

4. Jessica79

5. Femmeme

^This^

Welcome to The Patriarchy where giving up Male Privilage is looked at as a form of treason.

6. GirlWhoWaited

Exactly what I was going to say. It's completely unfair to everyone involved. Even those who benefit from it miss out on a chance for personal growth through earning their status. Sad stuff.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

<status quo>
    Masculinity equals strength. Women can be strong despite femininity, not because of it. So a masculine woman is independent, but a feminine man is a sissy.

It really sucks >.< But one day it'll be different.

8. newfish

A lot of women are also criticized for being too masculine. For men, it's powerful, but if a woman does something similar, people often just think she's mean. Except that doing this perceived powerful action is the only way to move up because if a girl's feminine, she is more socially acceptable but also considered weaker.

Which is, of course, completely unfair.

#8 newfish, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. LILuke

[Unfortunately] this is about as astute an explanation as there is. Welcome to the male-dominated society we live in.

10. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I dunno, I think "manly" girls get their fair share of abuse too. I remember one girl at school who people used to shout "man beast" and "shrek" at. Just like theres a lot of pressure on men to be "masculine" theres a lot of pressure on females to be feminine so I think its pretty equal.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh, the good ol' double standards of society. Don't you love 'em? /sarcasm

Yeah, double standards are so annoying. :/

12. Werbinich

In Chinese, masculine is deciphered as strong, vice versa. Hmm, I guess that explains it in our culture. But what's worse is that an awful lot of people combine feminine men with gay. I'm gay and though I might be sensitive, my voice is deep, I'm not short, of weight, okay maybe skinny, but never considered by others as feminine. A friend of mine at school, boy, if feminine and a lot of people call him gay when he's not (while I am, though no one at school knows that)

13. oh my god I

I think part of it is people are just afraid of new & different things... also maybe men feel pressure to be masculine so they turn around and pressure other men because if other men aren't being as masculine then it's like, why am I trying so hard? You know?

It's all so stupid though...

14. Chic30

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

There a ton of feminine boys/guys out there. The only reason why you feel that way is because you're listening to too many straight people putting this in your head. Stop that lol.

15. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'm totally okay with the way it is now. When I think masculinity, I think, strong, confident, leader, and hairy. (lol)

I definitely don't see it as a bad thing. But if a dude wants to be a feminine, then that's cool too.

Yeah. To be honest it kinda annoys me when you see the stereotypical flamers and whatnot, since they're just satisfying the gay stereotype. >.>

16. newfish

No, not all the stereotypical flamers are just trying to satisfy the gay stereotype. Sure, some are to please society, but not all. So please, don't say that every gay man that acts a certain way is doing so not because he feels this way, but because society tells him to. I know for a fact this is an inaccurate generalization.