1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I learn to trust my family again

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

When I came out I had hidden it from my family for years, I was terrified of getting rejected from them. When I did come out both my parents were cool with it, however I almost ended up in tears because Dad said that I could have told them anything when I was growing up and I know he has been hurt by me keeping this from them. I feel awful, I must be a crappy son for not trusting my parents.

Its not just that, I hid my depression from them, I hid my self harm cuts (don't know how they believed the story about barbed wire) from them, they don't even know that I was once suicidal !!

They ask about stuff about my life, like boyfriends etc. its like they want to know about it, they want to know that I am happy I guess. But I still keep it from them.

Why am I like this, they love me why can't I love them the same back ?

2. Californiacoast

Could it be that you still feel some shame and fear? Whether based on reality or not, these feelings must be dealt with to open the communication lines with your folks. Start trusting them with some small parts of your life and build from there. My Dad and I are opposites in many ways, but by going to sporting events and duck hunting together, I have opened up about boyfriends and we have built friendship. It was hard at first, but got easier! Good Luck!