1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by UIOP, Oct 2, 2013.

1. UIOP

Why wont people talk to me?!

(Note: Sorry this is long, I am ranting. But any suggestions would be much appreciated :thumbsup:)

I have recently started going to university. There are lots of people around and I would like to try and meet new people... hopefully, make some friends. For some reason, I am finding this difficult.

When I go to a communal eating area like the dining hall (I am a 'catered' student so get food included in my accommodation) or a kitchen, I can stir up a pretty decent conversation with just about anyone so long as they're not in a large group. If I go to an organised event, I can 'target' which people would be most likely to want to speak to me (based on who they're with/what they're doing). So that's all fine and dandy.

Now, when there is not much going on, I find it hard to get people to speak to me. I can introduce myself and try to say or ask something to get the conversation rolling... but they just don't respond. They just respond in either 'yes' or 'no' answers and look away from me. Or walk away.

I try to talk to the people who live in the same accommodation block as me. But they all seem very different to me and it is hard to find anything to talk about. I can start topics of conversation but they then do what most people are doing... they just answer with 'yes' or 'no' or a small giggle and don't engage in conversation at all.

I try to get to lectures a few minutes early so that I can try to chat to whoever is next to me. Again, they are not at all interested.

In fact, the only people who do talk to me at all are on my course (of 5 people, excluding me) and my 3 other friends. Granted, university has only started 2 weeks ago so people are just settling in but, still, it is so frustrating! Why won't people speak back to me? Are they all just shy or is there something I should be doing differently? Help please :confused:

#1 UIOP, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have found that a lot of people are not very friendly with strangers, but there are a few who are also good at conversations and will make your efforts worth it. You just have to keep trying with those who will reciprocate. Probably the easiest way to get people talking is to ask things about themselves or their interests.

3. boysoverflowers

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i'm not chatty like you... if they're shy, they'll eventually engage in a long conversation with you... if not, they're simply not interested, but to not offend you, they just smile or whatever.

resu's right... ask things about them :slight_smile:

enjoy university! :slight_smile: