1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Threats from Family: Really scared

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DrkRayne, Oct 3, 2013.

1. DrkRayne

So my gf's family got back to her regarding their feelings on our engagement/relationship.

To make it quick, we were told they were going to kill us. Literally kill us. I know this is America, but back in her home country I guess this sort of stuff is legal.

My fiancee immigrated here at 15 from Lebanon. And her family is Christian. I guess Christian Middle East People arent as different from the rest.

Either way, I'm writing this while she is in the back packing a suitcase. Were going to stay at a hotel, and then prob to my sister's or dad's. I'm not sure.

She wants to wait a couple of days to see if this is just some talk before calling the police, but she was crying so I don't think this is just talk.

I'm staying calm right now, cant' figure out what to do. Our state isnt exactly gay friendly...its getting there, but it isnt.

I'm so weirded out how they can go from being okay with something to death threats. She let me read what he brother texted and told me what her father said to her when she called him. It went something along the lines of: disgusting, death, whore, disown, kill, etc etc etc.

What do we do? I mean other than not staying at our house since they know where we live.
    I want to notify my landlord so that she doesnt freak out if her house is vandalized, my fiancee is begging me to wait a few days before talking to the police.

Okay I'm really freaking out. what if they like..tear up our condo or something. All our stuff is in here.

2. Momosboy

*inhales, exhales* okay, calm down. Firstly, you made the right choice, going to a hotel. Personally, I would get off most social networking sites (not here), hide for a few weeks, maybe days, and get a new place for safety, but don't tell ANYONE where it is. Call the police after a few days, and Pray. I hope this helps.

Serena

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is unbelievable but not unheard of.

I would not wait to notify the police, you need to have a case created now, show them the evidence from the texts and get a transcript, pronto!

Go somewhere that cannot be known to them, your own relatives may be too easily found.

These threats are to be taken seriously. If they are from another country, their names could be notified to the border authorities right now to block them right then and there.

DO NOT WAIT.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Greatwhale. This isn't at all unheard of in Middle Eastern cultures, and in fact, there was a news story about some father who went to prison for murder somewhere here in the US in similar circumstances... and he wasn't even slightly remorseful.

Call the police now. And then I'd get yourself completely out of the state. I know it's drastic, but personally I wouldn't take the chance.

5. Skyline

My goodness...
    I don't know what to tell you about waiting to call the police... but I do know that you should at the first sign of her parents acting on their words. If they show up at the condo for example.
    Stay safe and don't let people know where you are for a little while.

6. Feijoa

Please keep in mind that a lot of news stories about honour killings are usually from Pakistan and India and extremist points of view. Lebanon has a mixed view regarding LGBT (and cannot be put in the same bowl as, say Saudi Arabia), and as we are all aware, it doesn't matter ethnicity for there to be a negative reaction to coming out.

I have Indian relatives on one side of my family, and my situation wasn't far off from yours. The difference being the death threats came from a few thousand miles away out of the country, so we didn't feel any immediate danger.

My suggestion would be to contact a local LGBT support group. Preferably one that is either Middle East/Arab-centric because they will have had dealings with situations similar to yours.

I did a quick google: UCLA LGBT Resource Center dunno how much that helps.

Above all, you want to stay calm. You both need each other, and you also need to be able to discern between anger and rage. One being a stage towards acceptance and open-dialogue, the other being potentially dangerous. If your partner doesn't want to involve the police just yet, then agree on moving somewhere that her relatives don't know about - be it a friend's, a hotel, or one of your relatives. If you have a common friend who is trustworthy, then talk to them and keep them as your support. It will be important to have someone to trust and reliable in your immediate vicinity if you feel in danger.

Has she spoken to her mother? As you only mentioned the brother and her father; it could be a very hot-headed reaction from them. They need cooling off time before contact is made with them again. Keep a record of all your communications.

Decide away from your home whether you want to involve the police now, or after you have got local advice from an advocate group or LGBT group. The reason I stress on this, is that you can get additional advice for your circumstances and you also have them as that additional support and, if need be, evidence/witness.

I hope things work out soon for you both, I know how terrifying and horrible it can be.

EDIT: I found this: http://www.glas.org/ it is country-blocked for me (ironically, I'm in the Middle East) so not sure if it has any contact numbers for you, but it is the Gay and Lesbian Arab Society website.

#6 Feijoa, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. penguin machine

People fuelled by religious insanity are capable of the most wicked acts imaginable. Take it seriously and be glad they spoke their poisonous minds BEFORE acting. Now you have a chance to react.

8. GirlWhoWaited

That's outrageous. I'm so sorry you're going through this. The funny thing is, Christianity isn't supposed to be about punishing others. "Let he who is without sin..." and all that. Gandhi said, ""I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." I feel like you're getting the full force of this reality, and it frustrates me that this is the world we have to deal with. Keep safe, and keep us posted. (*hug*)

9. DrkRayne

Update:
    We made it to the hotel. Were staying here for two days. Only person who knows were not at home is my BFF.
    We agreed to wait through the weekend and get the police and a lawyer on Monday. She still has things at her family's house. Her brother already told her that her other car there he is going to scrap it for metal, she left it there for her mother to use if/when she comes back. I told her if he does that I will press charges.
    In addition she is tied to some items with them. She is terrifed that extracting herself fully from them legally is going to make it worse. :frowning2:

Her brother goes back and forth from Lebanon to here. They are citizens, but they live 50% of their time back overseas. She is the only one who doesnt want to go back there. They've been trying since their return to get her to go back overseas and marry a man. She has declined several times. I think her last decline may have some bearing on the current situation.

Her mother is not please with her sexuality either, but just cries about it instead of being enraged. She generally follows what her husband says anyway.

10. Split Arrows

My god, this is terrible. I'm glad you made it somewhere safely. I don have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but you are in my thoughts.

11. Feijoa

Glad to hear you are safe and have a plan.

It is terribly stressful and I really feel for you both. With the family going back and forth to Lebanon, I can see where the dichotomy of thinking conflicts. It probably doesn't feel like the right time, but it's good to have some "educate" ammo up your sleeves.

There is a very prominant LGBT group in Beirut - https://www.facebook.com/LebLGBTmonitor/info (info there to Raynbow)
    And an advocacy group - Helem.net

Would it help if she wrote a letter to her mother? The relationship between her parents sounds very "old country" to me, but mothers still have a quiet mind of their own, and reaching out this way may help her a little bit.

The brother appears to be the voice box of the situation. If your partner has the title of the car still at the house, perhaps look into having a towing company remove it for you. To your house location, so that the brother can not necessarily follow to your current location.

I still strongly suggest speaking to an Arab-American group or LGBT advocacy group to perhaps help with some mediation. It sounds pointless, but the power of language can be quite a strong catalyst to a peaceful outcome - having someone able to speak Arabic could really help.

12. purplekitty

Oh no! :icon_sad: I don't have any advice, but I hope you get through this safely.