1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Straight Female friendships and Lesbians

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fortheloveoflez, Oct 4, 2013.

1. fortheloveoflez

I've always had some trouble pointing out with certainty what exactly the boundaries between female friendship and romance are. I swear there is so much leeway between the two. It's like a girl can hold hands and kiss and practically have her face in between another one's legs and people still term it as normal heterosexual "friendship". How exactly is that not confusing and misleading for us queer folk? How are we supposed to distinguish the girls who want us like that from the others?

Don't get me wrong I'm totally for self-expression but there is a downside, I think. Some times it's hard for me to really tell if a girl likes me or if she like-likes me. So the whole navigating through the romantic landscape can be impossible.

A lot of straight-identified girls nowadays still mention how "hot" some female celebrities are. I hear a lot that say girl on girl is "hot". What?

Besides plowing through the lesbian bar, which still has a lot of straight people in it, how are we supposed to find each other?

Sorry guys that was a bit of a rant...but I feel like this is really confusing...

thanks for lending me your ears for five minutes

2. swingthatway

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly what you mean. For more than a year I've been under the impression that my best friend has been reciprocating my romantic feelings towards her, because she has acted so... well gay towards me.

She constantly used to push me up against walls and 'pretend' to make out with me (as a joke), and has even gone so far as kissing my neck. However, when I finally told her that I was in love with her, she said that she's straight and doesn't feel the same way. Talk about leading me on! I'm very wary now when girls act 'romantic' towards me and tend to just assume that they don't like me unless they explicitly state otherwise.

Sorry I'm not much of a help; I'm in the same sticky mess as you are :bang:

3. fortheloveoflez

That sucks.
    Hang in there.
    Honestly, I had a similar thing with my ex best friend (notice the ex part, that should tell you enough) she would always try to hold my hand...in bed we would embrace each other some times with our legs entertwinded...she'd send me questionable romantic letters....and even downright kiss me a few times.
    When I finally told her directly that I was in love with her, although I thought it was obvious to tell, she gave me the whole "I'm straight. I'm into boys." lecture and I responded with "well, why do you act like that then? You don't think it's leading me on?"...she certainly didn't agree with that....I had to end the "friendship" aka weird girls in the closet type relationship....because she insisted that we stay "friends" and I was so heartbroken and said "what exactly is that supposed to mean at this rate?"...I mean honestly to me what it seemed like was that this was some type of a cover for what it really was which was romantic. The reason I say that is I cannot for the life of me picture myself holding, flirting and espacially kissing random people who I'm just "friends" with...let's say guys for example.

It really is confusing and I'm surprised this isn't talked about more in our community.
    I hope things get better for you though and you find a girl you deserve.
    Hugs

4. swingthatway

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your support; I really appreciate it <3

My friend is also now an 'ex friend' - I simply can't deal with being around her anymore. I'm the only person she's ever been intimate with, and yet she can't accept that we may be more than friends. On top of that, she's been downright cruel towards me and I'm pretty much just cutting off all ties now.

I guess we just have to wait until someone comes along who is willing to be mature and admit their feelings without being so damn confusing. I sure hope you can find someone like that soon (if you haven't already) :slight_smile:

I too am surprised that people don't discuss this much - it really is a big problem!

5. fortheloveoflez

Ya. I mean, OK, I understand some times people make mistakes and some times they are just plain uninterested. But not even apologizing for pulling these moves and yanking on your heart strings full force? That's not OK.

I have been out for about 3 years or so. I still see this as an ongoing problem. I'm not even a teenager anymore, I'm in my early 20s for goodness sakes and girls still play these games! I think it's really unfair because now, for the sake of my own self-preservation of my feelings, I tend to assume that no matter what a girl does she isn't interested. I also tend to assume that a lot of straight girls are really just "straight" or raging closet cases. Heck, I remember how hard it was for me to come out...if it wasn't for this one person I'm sure I never would have...