1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting to know people

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chels, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't sure this was the right place to post, so if not sorry and feel free to move it.

That being said, let me start with a question. is it just me, or meeting people is extremely difficult?

i'm in a pretty weird and frustrating situation, I moved here months and months ago from Europe, so I'm technically working on paperwork for residency and so on, which means I'm not going to college (till Jan at latest, i hope), I can't drive, and I can't do pretty much anything. This, along with the fact that I'm a really shy and socially awkward person makes it nearly impossible for me to meet people face to face 9even though once conversation is started I'm not that bad), which is why I turned to the internet and this forum in particular.

I'm lucky enough to know I do have a couple friends that I met online, but they're all pretty far from me, so there's only so much I can do with them, and of course, they're all straight, so I don't really have anyone to talk to. Also, I don't really have anyone to get to know, since I don't really use Tumblr, or Twitter, or Facebook, and most of the times LGBT forums are either full of fake or one night stands kind of people.
    I do try to interact in the forum as much as I can, but so far I haven't really managed to start a convo with anyone, even though I try. I'm not trying to come off whiny or attention seeker, but I guess this is the right place to vent a little, since I doubt I'm the only one that is in a situation like this.

So all I'm asking for is, any suggestions/tips? I don't have the chance to go out a lot, because I live in a small city and, if that wasn't enough, also a residential area where all you see is houses and lawns, malls and shops are all 40+ minutes of walking from here, which means my main way to make new friends (other than waiting for college, if I don't freak out anytime sooner) is mainly online.

This came out way longer than what I thought, so sorry about that, and thanks for whoever reads it! :slight_smile:

2. biggayguy

Going to college should help. It would help to join the GSA at school. We went out clubbing on the weekends when I was in college. Is there any volunteer work you could do? I met several nice people doing volunteer work. It also looks good on your resume. You could also take up a hobby.

3. Chels

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure going to college will definitely help, but as of now I'm as sure I'll go as I'm sure I'll personally land on the Moon, so... Not something I'd bet on.

As for volunteer work there might be, around here, definitely not where I live, but I don't have a car or any other mean of transportation, and I'm happily too far from buses/trains, which makes everything harder.

I go to the gym every now and then, but as usual it's too far from where I live and I need a car to get there, so it's not a weekly thing, not yet at least. I'm kinda stuck, basically, and quite literally.