1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there ever a good time to confront your friend on their sexuality?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dakine, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Real short, just as the title says...is there ever a good time to bring up to a friend the possibility that they might not be straight? My friend is starting to do some weird things that directly involve me and he seems like one of those ppl that needs the "intervention" approach. Could this ever be good?

2. LD579

It really depends on what behaviour you're talking about. Generally, confronting someone about their sexuality isn't ever a good idea, and can honestly be quite crass. If your friend is hitting on you or others and you or they are uncomfortable, though, or similar things are happening, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask him or her what's up. Confronting, though, might be too aggressive. It might be good to leave the ball in his or her court if or when you decide to do something.

3. bazinga91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Confronting someone in the closet isn't generally the best idea and could be taken as attacking them and make them become very defensive.. but it does depend on what the behavior is, and if it is making you feel uncomfortable, I would definitely address the situation, not in an intervention style, but maybe one on one type of calm and caring talk

4. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not making me uncomfortable yet, but it's progressing that way. He's been lingering purposely in my area when I masturbate, he has taken a photo of me sleeping naked and now he is using one of my towels as his cleanup rag when he masturbates when he has plenty if his own material to use for cleanup. Keep in mind I have feelings for him so to be quite honest I don't mind....but it's bordering on weird now.

5. ryanalexander61

Does he know u r gay/bi?

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

And does he know that you know about the photo? I would as others advised caution against confronting someone in the closet or in denial but this pretty blatant behavior...and pretty violating if u ask me.

6. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    He knows I'm bi/gay, knows I like him and he showed me the photo and then a few days later sent it to me.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In that case, you could ask him; though, maybe you need to ask if he likes guys versus asking if he's gay/bi, which might be too charged labels for him.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just ask him if something is bothering him and to be honest and that you won't tell anyone. If he's gay or bi, he's more likely to come out to you. If he's insists on saying that he's fine, then be patient and wait for him to come around.