1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you worry about leaving you parents alone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jeneric, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jeneric

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm worried about my mum ending up living alone. My sisters and I are all leaving the nest. One's going 10hrs away, another is living with her boyfriend and I'm determined to go overseas. We currently live with her partner and his kids. My mother hates his kids so we'll probably leave when the lease ends.

I worry about her being lonely. All her good friends live far away and unfortunately we both have the same poor social skills.

Do any of you have the same fears for your parents? Have any thought on how you'll handle it apart from giving up on all your dreams and living with your parents forever?

2. Flynn

Take comfort in the fact that ALL parents know their kids have to leave the nest eventually. No good parent would have their kids stick to them forever at the cost of them being able to start their own lives, pursue their own dreams and find their own happiness. Trust that your mother knows this.

Yes she will be lonely, moreso if she's living alone (my own mother certainly was, cause she lives alone too). I know that when me and my siblings left home she was devastated for months and would cry over the phone when I would speak to her. What kept her going was us having regular contact, rather than just leaving and never saying a word (that's probably the worst thing you could do).

Any chance you get, give her a call, shoot her an email, or skype. Let her know what you're up to and how you're doing, she'll appreciate that more than you'll know. It'll set her heart at ease and put a smile on her face. Make sure you never forget her birthday, or mother's day, she'll appreciate sharing those moments cause it'll let her know even though you're far away, she's still in your thoughts.

#2 Flynn, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated leaving my mom. I went off to school at the same time as my twin (derp) and my brother was already out of the house so she was alone for a year and I just felt like she was getting emotionally worse. She's sick and needs help and I felt like I needed to help her. I know it's a part of life to leave home and every parent knows it's going to happen. I just feel like she needs me.
    so I came home xD

4. method

I've got complete empathy for the sentiment that Jeneric raised, but your response in its entirety was poignant and well said. Thanks :slight_smile: