1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I join a new social group?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Cassindra Starlight, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Since starting college, I've been spending free time with a group of gamers that doubles as an LGBT group. It's just been made clear to me that they want me to stop hanging out with them, because they consider me stupid and annoying do to my autism and ADHD. I try to curb talking too much and staying on subject, and try to sound like I have common sense, but it's a learning process. Now I need another group, and I don't know where to look or how to speed up my social skill improvement so that I can avoid getting kicked out long enough to improve enough to stay. I plan to try joining clubs, but I still need to avoid being so annoying I get thrown out.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry you have been ostracized by a group that should be promoting tolerance. You might check out the documentary Neurotypical, which was a very nice look at people throughout the autism spectrum, speaking in their own words. It was shown on PBS in July, but unfortunately online streaming expired a few days ago.

As for talking too much, try to listen more and try and say only a few things at a time. It can be hard to concentrate on others, but you can make it work. You might look into autism forums for how other people like you deal with social interactions.

3. Is that documentary on DVD? I may be able to pick it up in a couple months, then give it to the college library when I'm done.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people