1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go about this

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LILuke, Oct 10, 2013.

1. LILuke

So there's this boy who I see every week at my school's Pride Alliance who I think is really cute and I'm pretty certain that he is gay, but I have no idea how to go about asking him out. I was kinda hoping to approach him in some capacity at tonight's meeting as my personal version of 'National Coming Out Day' seeing as I am most certainly not ready to actually start coming out to friends or family members right now. We've only spoken like twice before, so we really don't know each other that well, so I was kinda thinking of starting with like a "Hey, we should hang out some time or something." but part of me is wondering if I should just slip him my phone number or something.

Clearly I am very bad at this.

Our school's Pride Alliance is also hosting this thing called "Second Chance Prom" in the school ballroom in like two weeks - basically just a really cheesy dance with the logic being that a lot of LGBT kids didn't get to do what they wanted during their high school prom [couldn't bring the date they wanted or wear what they wanted or whatever] because their school wouldn't let them, or they were afraid, or whatever, and I was kinda thinking of maybe just asking him to that?

I don't know. I've [obviously] never asked out a guy before so I have no idea what the proper way to go about this is. Does anyone have any advice?

2. someguy82

Striking up a friendly conversation and saying you should hang out sometime seems like a fine way to start things off to me. At the end of the day what's the worst that could happen?

3. LILuke

Yeah, I think that's what I am going to do. Assuming that I don't freak out and go running away like a coward or something. Gah. >><<

Wish me luck I suppose!

4. mvjp

just be confident and good luck :slight_smile:

5. LILuke

Didn't get a chance to talk to him last week but I'm gonna try again on this coming Thursday. :slight_smile:

6. Californiacoast

OK... One piece of advice. Ask him to a small activity and be specific. My feeling is a dance might be kinda big for a first date. Too much pressure. Also, "wanna go hang out sometime" is too vague.

Try this. "hey, I was wondering if you had some free time Friday afternoon or Saturday to go grab coffee at that new Starbucks on Market Street?"

Or

"hey I've got a couple of tickets to monster truck redneck throw down at the race track saturday, wanna ride the bitch seat on my Harley?

Whatever, ya get the picture. Make it light and fun, even unusual, but not a movie. You want to get to know him. THEN if that goes well, Gay prom is on like Donkey Kong! (!)

7. LILuke

Ugh, but there's like nothing to do in this tiny little college town. :tantrum:

But yeah, you're probably right. I'll think of something good. :slight_smile:

8. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww so cute :grin: I think the whole "hey, we should hang out sometime" is very normal and would be safe to go with. If he says yea, then take that as he could be interested, and if he says no, you've got an idea. If he says yea...you can eventually squeez in "do you think you would want to try going to 'prom' with me?" :slight_smile: