1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend might be gay, feeling might be mutual

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A Person, Oct 11, 2013.

1. A Person

So, this all started last December. My best friend is a VERY affectionate guy, and he likes to cuddle, put his arms around, snuggle, even hold hands with male friends. When he first started doing this with me around Christmas last year, I shrugged it off as a possible brotherly feeling. But I could never get my mind off it. And he just got more affectionate. We would watch movies and he'd cuddle, or lay his head on me, and eventually I realized I wasn't confused by his actions, and it was actually flattering. So, basically our friendship got even more intimate, we shared a bed on a band trip to Annapolis and he cuddled with me, he hugs me a lot, compliments me a lot, says he loves me when we talk online or in real life, he makes "jokes" about us loving each other to my friends, has kissed me on the cheek many times, etc. Basically, I want to know if you guys think he likes me, and what I should do, because I am really starting to grow fond of it. I have asked a few friends their opinions on this, and the general consensus was that he at least likes males, if not only males, and some of them are convinced he likes me. Also, if it helps, we are freshman in high school, and we've known each other since 1st grade. I don't know what to do, because I never thought of liking him, and I have a girlfriend but I feel the same for both of them and its screwing me over, please help. Also, he seems to deny it when people, which has recently been his ex girlfriend who they had a weird relationship together, ask him if he is. Kinda feminine person. But I love him, I do.
    P.S: No comments involving the condemning of my feelings for him or saying that I should forget it and forget him will be tolerated. I have read threads just like this before on this site and they got helpful answers. No need to discriminate me from that help. Unhelpful or hurtful comments will be removed.

-A Person

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi A_Person, I will answer you're question but before I do, I need to point out that if you try and insist on restricting the kind of answers you get from people in favour of the answers you want to hear, you ain't going to get much in the way of helpful advice.

No on to your question. When I started reading I thought, well that's just like me and my friends, although that changed a bit towards the end. It sounds nice either way!

What you need to consider is what the result might be from saying 'I like you, do you like me?' to the guy. You ALSO need to consider that it would be a total dick move to do that while you still have a girlfriend.

Take from that what you will.

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    are you bi?
    He sounds very male-oriented... but yeah, you should really sort out what's happening with you and your gf first.

4. A Person

Thanks guys, the only reason I put that P.S was because I had this posted somewhere else and the only responses I got were VERY rude and unhelpful. Basically the people told me I was an asshole for liking him and all that. I do not plan on doing anything behind my gf's back. We talked about our relationship and we both agreed that if either of us feel uncomfortable or no longer want to be in the relationship that the other would not freak out, because we only want each other to be happy. So if we do end up separating, it won't get bloody so to say. Again, thanks for your answers, very appreciative and helped a lot more than the other website I tried.

5. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe you could try exploring your feelings for him...?
    I dunno.. I'm too young to give such advices and I haven't experienced this yet:dry:

People here in EC are very friendly ^__^

6. Werbinich

Although sometimes we do advise people to forget it or something like that but genuinely, if there really were no hope. But no one here is rude (I believe) and all are willing to help. Since I only discriminate those who discriminate, I am more then willing to help....

Okay, back to your issue. I have to say that I assume that (could I call him YF for your friend?) YF sounds like he is into men and into you. But if you want to know for sure, I'm afraid you have to ask him (privately, of course) in order to be sure. You are a great friend to him and I'm sure he would entrust you with this.

As for your own feelings...Yes, it is possible to love two people at the same time, however, congruency doesn't exist. I think that you might like/love one more than the other. Who do you rather be with? Who do you WANT to be with? I'm afraid that although one could love two, one could only choose one and that'd be up to you to decide. The time might not be here but it WILL come when you have to choose your future and I hope that you could make the choice, whether if it is with your current gf or YF or even someone who hadn't appeared in your life yet, that you would never regret.

Sorry I couldn't be more help (I'm inexperienced in love except for crushing X(...) but hugs and good luck all the same!

7. A Person

Thanks guys, once again I'm sorry if I sounded kinda mean in the intro. I just had some bad experiences, I am not against different opinions. Recently, we had some marching band events where he cuddled with me for warmth, and he was holding my hand when i got upset on the way back the one day. Also,I can't remember if I already mentioned this, but he likes to glance/look at me during class or if we're on different sides of a room.

8. A Person

Anyone else viewing this, any responses would be appreciated.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As another person asked, are you bi? Are you out? It definitely sounds like you're having a lot of intimate contact with this guy, so it should not come as a big surprise if you came out to him. What do you think about your girlfriend? Does she suspect the same?

10. stumble along

Okay this is actually pretty simple considering he is very touchy with you.
    But before you do this you need a good long talk with your gf because if you want your friend more then its not fair on her so maybe suggest a leave of absence or an open period or just break it off altogether
    That being out of the way...
    just, touch back, push the envelope. If he is as cuddly and kissy and hand holdy as you say he is, when he does that stuff to you, do it back and see what happens.
    though I should warn it could get out of hand very quickly what with hormones and all so just make sure you and the gf are cool in case it gets out of hand (or y'know just pull back)
    this usually works out better if you two are alone like when you share the bed or sleeping over in general (for the love of god try to restrain yourself :slight_smile: )
    that should give you a pretty clear answer, if hes playing around he might be shocked if you kissed back, if he keeps going then he likes you or he thinks everyone is playing a secret game of gay chicken (hint highly unlikely)

11. A Person

Thanks again! I also wanted to throw in that for a while, since we both take French (same class actually) on Facebook we call each other "my love" in french or say I love you in french very often.

12. stumble along

I wouldnt put too much thought into it, there's a girl that I still have a crush on that shut me down and we say I love you all the time.
    if you were wondering yes a little piece of me dies every time

13. A Person

Hey, thanks for those responses! Wanted to add some more (I know its nuts) but we have a French trip to Quebec for 4 days in February. He said he wants to sit with me on the way there and back and share a room again and has said, "We're gonna cuddle all the time" to me. Is this good, bad, expected, interesting, opportunity providing? Or all 5?

14. A Person

BIG NEWS THOSE THAT ARE STILL READING. Here it is copied from a convo with a friend!

Well he said he's had crushes on guys before when we discussed sexuality since his ex-girlfriend (long story didn't go well) accused him of being gay. Quote "Yeah I've had crushes on guys. But i'm not 100% gay. Probably 80 20, 70 30". And when I said, "You have?" he looked at me and smiled and said "Yeah".
    Also he was upset cuz his ex was being a dick and he had a bad day, so on the way back from todays football game (we're in the band) he was really sad and I put my arm around him for a while.
    Also, we're going to a birthday party and he told me he'd only go if I did. So I'm taking this positively. And you?

15. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    That seems like a positive sign to me...... But what about your girlfriend?

16. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :O
    okay, this is serious. omg you're so lucky
    Do you really like this guy? Can you see yourself doing nothing but wanting to be with him?
    If you really love him, you're in a position to start something, because he's almost CERTAINLY interested in you! Keep playing back, and when you're ready, you can tell him how you feel, or maybe just keep playing back until it gets to the obvious point :wink:

17. A Person

Bad news everyone. I talked about it with him and he just said "I like you a lot, but not like that". So now that I've been reduced to a bawling fool, I'm lost. He apologized a lot and swore that nothing would change at all but I don't know anymore. I feel like he still feels something, but he outright told me he didn't. I guess the only thing to do now is just continue with it and hope maybe he'll think differently in the future. He also told me he still needs me a lot since him and our other friend are having problems...but I don't know. I just don't know. I'm probably going to be crying for weeks.

18. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2: :frowning2:
    How did the conversation go exactly? Did he hug you / cuddle afterwards? Or has he stopped? If you think you can handle the pain it might give you, you can probably still be on cuddling grounds with him, given that he said NOTHING would change. I really hope you're ok. (*hug*)

Hey, well done for getting the courage to talk to someone that important to you. It's a really difficult thing to do.

19. stumble along

Im sorry, it always hurts.
    like the person above IF he really means nothing will change and he still does that stuff to/with you and IF you can handle it then by all means keep doing it. After all if thats all youre going to get thats a pretty sweet deal. If at any point you're beginning to not handle it then just tell him to ease off on the cuddling etc. For a little bit until you can get your bearings.

20. A Person

Thanks guys. We were actually talking over Facebook because we were initially talking about something else he was having problems with and somehow it came up. But he still said I love you a lot to me afterwards. And as I said he told me he didn't care about what I told him and promised he wouldn't ever change anything between us. I kept trying to say that I knew he'd feel uncomfortable and that I was stupid for saying anything but he said "Liking someone doesn't make you an awful person. I still love you and need you a lot right now. I wouldn't ever not want you because you're still a great friend". So I guess that's good but...yeah I died a bit on the inside.