1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh oh...Stereotypes used in the family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lazyfire, Oct 12, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ever since my sister came back from New York, many things have happened.
    She's criticized my room, saying that it has too many guy pictures (pictures of Korean pop boy bands) and she even saw a tab that said: Empty Closets on my chrome.

She knows her terms and asks me: Empty closets?!?

She sounds a bit worried.

So I reassure her with the fact that I'm using it to get to know the gay community for research.

During dinner tonight, they brought up the fact that I have boy band pictures in my room and started to tease me. "Boys shouldn't have pictures of boys in their room!". "He's wearing pink pants!". Those comments just keep going.

(Starting to feel left out and unwanted right now)

2. musican

:/ I'm sorry. That sucks. (*hug*) Sometimes people don't realize how much their words can hurt people. Did you try asking them to stop teasing you?

And tell them that I said that pink pants are fine as long as the shirt he's wearing doesn't clash with it >.<

3. hellokittyhero

I'm sorry :/ i know sometimes family can be harsh without realizing that their words hurt. I wish my mom could stop being so hateful about sexuality, the thing making it harder for me to come out. Judgement and teasing sucks, especially from someone close.

4. Ticklish Fish

YAY Kpop!

and they're celebrities so they can wear whatever they want lol. no one's stopping gaga from wearing.... whatever she's wear lol.

maybe you can tune her out mentally~

5. sysreq

How old are you, how old is she, and what do you think she'll say if you come out to her?
    If she's way older than you, she'll call it a 'phase' or say you're 'experimenting.'
    If she's near your age or older she might even be a little homophobic, and be hinting at trying to get you to admit to your sexuality in front of her.
    If she's younger than you, she might just say 'Huh. I see now.' and be over with it.

I would ignore any comments at all, and if the posters-and-pink-pants-over-dinner thing happens again you can either GLARE at her or say that it's not something she should be bothered about (it's not really any of her business anyway) or just tell your family you're gay and get it over with. Make sure to avoid the people who look at you funny or call you a f*ggot.
    That's my best guess.

You could also come home with a boyfriend once when you know your family/your sister will be there and just act as if nothing is different (which it isn't anyway) and if they say something you can 1) leave the house with your date or 2) ask them to please treat you and your partner with a little respect.
    Hope this helps! -Carter