1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Queer Son #2

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Biotech49, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Biotech49

Sigh - my 21 year old son always says that he is the only "normal" one in the family. I'm a lesbian, my oldest son is gay, and my youngest son has said that he is "bi" in the past. I asked him about that today while we were at breakfast. He identifies as "queer". He is who he is. Apparently, 75% of my little family of four (me and my three boys) is LGBTQQ..., so who is the normal one?

:icon_wink :lol: :newcolor:

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Who's the normal one? Well, normal tends to mean usual =/= average. So by that definition, none of you are normal, seeing as about 10% of the population are gay.

Everyone has qualities that aren't normal, all that matters is how you express them, you should have no shame about your quirks, and should shame no others for theirs. Just be happy and embrace who you are :slight_smile:

3. Biotech49

Lol, in my family my 21 year old son is the odd one out. He teases us mercilessly in good fun but we love him anyway.

None of us are ashamed and all of us are out. 11% of my generation of cousins is LGBT. Upwards of 30% of the next generations of cousins on my side are. Only 25% of my immediate family (my brothers and parents) would disapprove highly.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

That is awesome you are so close to your sons! And that they feel comfortable talking about that & joking with you!
    Yesterday I asked my son "Are you going to wear those (fleece jammy) pants to the mall?"
    His response "You said its ok to be who I am. These pants are me!"
    It was an awesome Mom moment . And yes he wore the pants!

#4 Rose27, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  5. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your family deserves its own Pride float. Now we just need to know the percentage your entire family makes up of Kansas's LGBT community.

6. Biotech49

Rose27, I think it comes of being a single mom for nearly seventeen years (with a terrible and abusive one year marriage to a fundy religious guy somewhere in between my first divorce and now). I've always been open with them. I used to tease them about "trapping them in the car for THE TALK", but I was open with them and them with me all the time. Not in a buddy buddy type way but in an honest and open way. They've grown up to be such great young men. I don't know what I did. I think I just got incredibly lucky.

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Since my coming out and divorce my son has learned to express his emotions really well these past few months. Sometimes a bit too loudly but better than not-He used to do the guy grunt-whatever attitude & escape to video games thing.
    No gaming systems here or tv in his room. Our relationship has improved a lot.
    He cries when he needs to. Before he would wait until things really built up for months before telling me what was going on.

8. Biotech49

It sounds like he has an awesome mom Rose!

9. apostrophied

Ya might wanna get your water supply checked, just sayin'. Lol jk. They are lucky to have a mom who can understand them.