1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birthday Party Help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Forestiger, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Forestiger

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi guys. I haven't been on this forum awhile, but I kinda need your advice. I'm having my 15th birthday party (yay!). I am going to have a sleepover with a buncha my friends to give us an opportunity to chill before we have to do our massive amounts of homework.

BUT I am inviting one of my friends, who I shall call Jane. Jane is a generally sweet person and fun to be around. However, even though she knows I am bisexual, she thinks that it is a sin. We have been able to work around that (aka ignore that fact) but at that party, literally everyone else is either queer or very supportive.

I don't know how she will react, especially since it is a sleepover and our conversations tend to become quite raunchy. I am thinking of shortening the party and not making it a sleepover, but I am afraid even that will cause massive amounts of glaring.

Worst of all, I am not even close to coming out to my family yet or even telling them about my friends, so there is no way to say that I don't want to invite her without seeming irrational (trust me I tried.) Help?:eek:

2. Biotech49

Invite her anyway. It may be an eye opener for her or it may be a disaster for her. I think she would be hurt if you didn't invite her but do let her know what the conversations might be like just as fair warning. It is up to her to decide whether she can handle it or not.

Good luck!

3. Abbra

I don't know if this is really an idea, but perhaps a way to diffuse the tension could be rather than just hanging out, everyone can go and do an activity together. Not only will you be able to avoid awkward conversation, but it could allow bonding to happen to soften any sort of ill feelings your friend could feel. What activity is up to you, but I do have an idea if you are willing to try it out. It's pretty cheap too.

For my 18th birthday, I had a massive, like 40 people game of tag based around the Hunger Games. The idea was that two people would randomly be put into a district together and the last person alive would win. Everyone would be available for tagging, because everyone would have to wear a white T-shirt that would be marked with red marker. Anyone with red on their shirt would automatically be out and would be sponsors, who basically was allowed to either screw over or help the other people on the field. No drama happened that night despite the fact that a lot of my friends actually hated each other.

There are a lot of ways to go about it, but I think doing something active can be a really fun way to spend a birthday and prevent any kind of drama. Do something that you like though, because it's your birthday, after all.