1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Don't Want to Break His Heart, But I Might Not Have Much Choice...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Haze, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Haze

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I'm currently in a relationship with this guy. He's a year younger than me and we've been dating since June. It is my first relationship.
    He's very kind and sweet. Seriously, he treats me better than I have any right to expect. He's a gentleman through and through, always trying to open doors for me and carry stuff for me (operative word being trying. I'm far too naturally independent to let him do all that all the time). He is genuinely the nicest person I've ever met, there is simply not a spiteful bone in his body. He says he loves me, and that eventually he wants to marry me. I believe him, too. We both love more or less the same stuff and where we disagree we've always worked around it or compromised. I never feel safer than when I'm with him.

But here's the thing, while emotionally he is everything I could ever want or need in a relationship, I am not physically attracted to him at all, and even on an emotional level, I know that he loves me more than I love him. I thought that once we'd been dating for a while that the deeper more intense feelings would come, but they just haven't. I do care for him very deeply, but it isn't what I feel it should be. As I said, I'm a very independent person and I can't even stand being on the phone with him for too long. I don't particularly enjoy kissing him. We had our first 'proper' kiss last month at a party and I enjoyed it, but mostly I wasn't really thinking about him (I remember thinking "so this is why they call it sucking face... huh" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) once I did start thinking about him in the kiss I didn't really want to be doing it anymore and broke away. In the beginning I thought that I would grow to be more attracted to him and he's been around to my house and we've sort of rolled around on the couch a bit, but that was fun in a very platonic way. I love being held by him, but lately even his smell, which I've always liked, is starting to turn me off. Matters aren't helped by the fact that he has the cleanest mind I've ever come across. He seems almost innocent, and it's been a joke between us that I'm slowly corrupting him. I'll make a dirty joke (cause that's what I'm like) and it'll go right over his head.
    All of this together is making me feel guilty about being with him as he's expecting us to continue forever, or at least a good long time. I feel like I'm leading him on, when I can't really stand the thought of being physically intimate with him, and no, it isn't guys in general as I've been very attracted to several guys before and since we've been dating. And now, I find myself thinking of other relationships I could be having, slipping back into a 'single mentality'. I'm thinking I'm going to have to break up with him but he's just such a nice guy I truly don't want to hurt him, but I can't see another way. Urg! I hate the thought of him in pain but I cannot see another way out! Please, help me. :help:

2. Split Arrows

If you feel that you're not happy with him and "slipping back into a single mentality" I think you have your answer. Breakups are hard and there's always (for me, at least) a feeling that it's better to be with someone you're not totally happy with than to hurt them.

It's unfortunate that you are going through this, but if it needs to be done, then it's better to do it now rather than later when he gets more emotionally invested.

On the other hand, are you sure that there isn't some other issue at hand, i.e. fear of vulnerability or such?

3. Gen

Gen

I believe I know that feeling all to well. I have a habit of attracted lovely people that, not even simply on a physical level but on various levels, I find myself attracted to.

There have been so many instances where I have found myself unconscious trying to fabricate some form of attraction when it truly isn't there. Luckily, I have always been able to catch myself by recognizing that the only reason I grew to see something in them was because they saw something in me.

There are many great people on this earth, but you have to remind yourself that just because they are great doesn't mean they are great for you. The only way you are going to be able to feel attractions blossom in a relationship is if they were there to begin with. And I stress actually attraction, not fondness or camaraderie.

It will be sad, but necessary for the sake of both of you. You deserve to be with someone you adore and he deserves to be with someone who adores him.