1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my probably straight, maybe gay friend. Help.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Weasley93, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Weasley93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys, I'm in need of some serious advice. Here comes a novel, and I do apologize but I don't wanna miss anything on this and I wanna give you the complete picture. Also, this is the first time I've EVER expressed myself about this so here comes 7 years of pent up emotion/confusion/rambling. And if you stick with me, you're a saint and deserve a medal.

I'm bisexual and absolutely no one knows it. Except for you guys now. I come from a super conservative family and the idea of coming out to them is laughable. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who have the courage to be themselves around the people they love. That's not me. I know, lame.

Problem is, there's this guy I've fallen in love with. It started off as a complete joke, he'd grab my butt, I'd grab his. We'd say affectionate things to eachother, innocent and harmless. When we were both in high school, I was a field conductor, he was a marcher and I caught him staring at me SO many times. (Far more than any of the other members except maybe a few of the ladies :wink: ) When I'd confront him about it, he'd smile and say he just likes looking at me.

But two years later, (this past summer) we got to be much closer friends and things kinda escalated with him. We'd hang out all the time. Get/make matching clothes, wrestle, work out together, go on runs/do yoga shirtless, sleep over, etc. We text, FaceTime, and snapchat almost every day, he says things like if he were gay he'd go to me. The snaps are always sexual, but pg13 na mean. I love you is a phrase we use almost every time we talk. I'm in the background of his phone, he in mine. Note: My point in posting this lovely book is to get some input as to whether this is a bromance or something more..sit tight the plot thickens.

We call what we have (to other people) a "very special relationship." I'm his "special buddy." Every time we see eachother we hug/embrace/butt squeeze hard core. We kiss eachother on the neck or cheek. Public, or alone. We've gone into the woods and cuddled on a blanket and one pillow. I'd stroke his hair, he'd stroke mine. We'd spoon and sleep, talk and listen to music. This happened on two separate occasions, the first time he planned out this whole day where it ended with a picnic/cuddle sess in the woods. The second time I took him to a field behind my house to look at the stars.

Basically, we planned out dates like this for eachother the entire summer where we'd never spend less than five hours together each time. We have an entire playlist dedicated to songs we found over the summer, and a symbol that has both our initials in it. We we even carved it on a tree to mark the spot where we had that first picnic. I play him songs from the summer playlist on the piano, he wraps his arm around me and sings along.

But honestly all things considered, I think there's a serious likelihood he's straight and this truly is just a bromantical joke for him. We're both kinda crazy and outgoing so it isn't out of the realm of possibility. He originally said "the only reason we act like this is because we know we're both completely straight and comfortable with ourselves." I've given him gifts like a necklace he NEVER takes off, but he's never reciprocated. (saying he's better at the surprises like the picnic.) He uses the words big brother a lot. He's had a couple of girlfriends he's definitely done things with, but then again so have I.

Sometimes I hint that I really do want him, but the problem is everything sounds like an addition to the running joke we've created. He responds with equal implications. Sometimes though, he seems to change the subject if I go too far. Out of the blue today actually, he sent me a text about how it's fun to be gay, but he misses the older bro that he could just talk to. that he missed how we used to talk regularly (note: we always talked gay to eachother idk what he's talking about). When I ask to FaceTime, he says he just needs time by himself.

I'm just super confused and hurt on this. He's kind the oblivious type, and I'm older than he is, about two years. Is it my job to initiate? Maybe. I seriously love this kid so much, he's like a little ray of sunshine, always happy I swear. People have called him gay before, but it's really hard to tell. His taste in music is pretty questionable and he's really into clothes and shoes, but that's true of a lot of guys.

I'd seriously consider just straight up asking him, but I know he would deny it. He comes from a conservative family too and when I first met him he "hated gays." He later changed his opinion on that with age/maturity. But if I told him I was bi and had feelings for him, and the feeling wasn't mutual, it would ruin everything. I couldn't stand to lose him even if it means I'm miserable. The past summer with him was the closest I've ever come to being myself. The first time I kissed him on the cheek, I felt like a massive weight had been lifted. A weight I had been building up in the closet for the past 7 years. Even if it's a joke to him, it's not to me. I've never been happier and more depressed at the same time. It's better than nothing though, and I can't lose it. Based on that text, I may already have and it's killing me.

The one text conversation that's really been haunting me that either is a glimmer of hope or me reading into it too much is as follows:

(I was telling him about how I told my aunts about our "special relationship" and that they were freaked out."

Him: HAHAHA I adore our relationship effects :wink: that just Made my night literally

Me: hahaha i thought it was funny. I didn't tell them about the cuddle stuff tho that may have been too much.

Him: Yeah well ease everybody into that ya know

Me: Yeah maybe

Him: Or we just come out and tell the whole world....IM GAY FOR (INSERT MY NAME HERE)

Me: (I sent him that note from the movie Juno "Im still in if you're still in" but I replaced their names with ours.)

Him: you have the (picture of a key) to my (heart).

Me: but I'm too scared to try to open it :frowning2:

Him: What's to fear about that?

Me: Everything

Him: There's nothing actually, if i don't love you back its my stupid fault You have so much to give

The End.

It was the only time where what he said didn't make sense at all in the context of a joking bromance. It was more serious. Idk, maybe it means nothing. This was two days before he sent the one about wanting time to himself. so confused.

If you didn't read any of this, here's a question. Would a straight guy ever go into the woods at night and cuddle/spoon/kiss the cheek/touch the face of another guy? Could that really be just a bromance? that's what I keep asking myself.

If you did read all of this, my goodness you are a god. I'd seriously appreciate any of your input as to what I have here, or what I should do.

Thanks for reading.

2. NoClue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same situation here bro...everyone keeps saying to be direct and tell him. I'm too chicken to do so but I think it's the best thing for you to do. If he's straight, u guys are still close enough to get through the awkward stage. :slight_smile:

3. UIOP

Wow, I can definitely see why you're confused about your friend. I know there are a lot of 'straight' guys who enjoy cuddling and butt-grabbing their friends but he sounds like he's really enjoying it.

I can't tell if he's gay/bi/straight/whatever but I personally would recommend talking to him about it. You seem really close and that final text conversation you shared implies that he would be relatively comfortable if you talked to him about this.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling of being depressed but also happiest I've ever been at the same time in that kind of situation. I think you should talk to him seriously about it. Tell him there's something you want to talk about, but that you'll only do it if he promises that it won't ruin your friendship or something, then just tell him how you feel and how you're confused.

5. Werbinich

I think that your friendship is stable enough to survive anything. Just ask/tell him or you'll never know whether the feeling is mutual and be in total emotional turmoil. If he likes you, great! If not, I still think that your friendship shall prevail the impact (impact?)

Hugs, and Good Luck!

6. confused1234

Wow, this "relationship" sounds really special and really intense. You guys are practically dating already.

I'm inclined to take that text conversation at face value. You were serious, and he seemed deadly serious too. "There's nothing actually, if I don't love you back it's my stupid fault. You have so much to give." That seems like an invitation to me. What exactly the invitation is for is hard to say. At the very least, it's an invitation to come out and an affirmation that he would be okay with that. Honestly though, I think it's more than that. I think he might also have feelings for you.

The only way to find out for sure is to have an honest and direct conversation with him. Regardless, I really hope this works out for you.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that this sounds more than a typical bromance. When talking to him, you could try to phrase it as you are "developing feelings for him".

8. A Person

I cannot tell you how similar this is to my situation. I agree with the above statement, but don't do anything you're not comfortable with. It's your life.

9. Weasley93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you all so much for the replies it's really helped through all this. I guess I'm just really disheartened with the recent conversation..they really seem like he doesn't want to have that special relationship any more. I can't tell if it's because he senses I have feelings for him and he's freaked out by that or because he has feelings too but won't accept it. Either way, I know the best way to I about this is to just be direct, like you've all said. I just really don't see him being honest with me even if he does like me more than a friend...I guess I just need to leave his options on the table for him to be honest on his own terms. ..any advice for how to go about that?

10. confused1234

You can't expect him to be honest with you unless you are also honest with him. I think he already senses that you have feelings for him, so you really just need to confirm that by telling him.

Tell him that you're confused by the intimate nature of your relationship and that you've developed deeper feelings for him. Ask him if those feelings are mutual. Like you said though, you do need to be prepared for the possibilty that he won't be honest with you or that he doesn't have feelings for you. In that case, don't push him. In fact, you should make it clear that you're fine simply being friends (if you are actually okay with that) if he does not reciprocate your feelings.

He's probably struggling with his feelingsr too, so it may take some time. Good luck!

11. Omerta

You need to tell hi how you feel though, otherwise I Know you will always regret not telling and maybe even start hating yourself for it. I don't, however, suggest you just tell him just like that. Get him alone preferably at your house ( That way he can leave if he's uncomfortable) and just do stuff you'd normally do, catch up with him, and when he initiates the affection or maybe even brings up him thinking, you start. You have to put yourself in a vulnerable place for a few moments, and ask for his trust and support for what you are about to say ( something like: "There's something I've been needing to say for A while, can i trust you to be honest, can i trust you not to hurt or hate me?") that way he can realize you are serious, that he needs to be honest and supportive the next few moments and almost be there for you. Hope this helps. Please fill us in on whats happened or happens.

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hes scared to be gay thats why hes suppressing himself and edginhg away from this ,just comfort him the best u can until hes ready to tell you

13. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No offence to the above posters, but guys, please stop encouraging him and inciting within him the idea that he is "gay". If he says that he is straight, then you just have to accept that and move on. I don't believe in any of this "in denial-won't accept" fiasco- and usually in the words of Fidel Castro, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I read your whole story, then compared it with not only my own personal experiences, but also that of many other posters, and I can tell you that he sounds 100% straight to me. Why? Because I believe that you are underestimating how deeply two friends can actually care for each other, in a platonic way, without actually being intimately linked.

To me, the whole thing does sound like a running joke, a running joke which on two-three direct occasions as you mentioned, has been placed into question by him the more he realises the inkling hints of your attachment. It just cannot get any more direct than that. If he were gay, or even if he was deeply closeted, he would reciprocate and respond in a way as to not stifle any further efforts from your part. He would initiate more often as opposed to being just on the receiving end of your treatment. With regards to the final text- although yes, it is serious in its nature, I believe there is a stinging poignancy which you are overlooking- he speaks hypothetically, and even in this it is implicitly a rejection of your feelings, as he says that he "would be stupid".

That is my analysis of this whole situation- a situation which I've read far too much upon this forum, and an ongoing situation with myself. I have a straight friend who had at one point, wanted to have feelings for me, but could not because of his orientation. He would do anything for me, and I would do anything for him- and sometimes I forget that this is what is encompassed within the umbrella of deep and true platonic friendship. Nonetheless, it is sad, and I wish it could be in some other way. I confessed my feelings to him over a year ago now, and then subsequently a few other times in the proceeding months. Each time I was rejected more harshly than the last- most of the heartache I experienced was from my own realisation that I needed to move on no matter how difficult it was.

My advice may be a bit controversial and even unorthodox, but I am telling you not to confess your feelings to him until you have truly accepted what is at stake. Friendship, and any relationship to me, is about a delicate balance- a good one is one in which you share and take an equal amount, and you invest and safeguard both mutually an equal amount of emotion. Telling him that you are in love with him will tip the scales to your end- putting more of the emotional gravity on your end- an act which he cannot possibly reciprocate. Furthermore, you must accept that you may in fact have to deal with the finality of a rejection, the solid and uncompromising statement: "I'm straight"- which, I tell you, hurts very much when you hear it/see it presented to you bluntly and unambiguously. You two may become closer on the other hand, but this will be with limitations- as you will always be what he sees you as, nothing more than a friend. From my own personal experience- after I told him, yes we did become closer, and closer than ever before, but then I'd realise painfully that, in the end, this was all just friendship to him, and it wouldn't amount to anything beyond that....

Something he said to me that has stuck with me until this day (advice I think that you should seriously consider): "if i felt anything for you like how you do for me, don't you think i would have felt it by now after all this time?"

In short, I've witnessed many bromances, myself having indulged in a gay bromance with another straight friend. I definitely don't have feelings for this other friend, but honestly? I find it fun and amusing- and if a gay person such as myself can indulge in a 'gay bromance' where no feelings are actually held, what could be said about a straight person doing the same? I hate to say it but male-male platonic friendships are implicitly complicated and border upon the amorous- the lengths bros would go for one another is astounding, and I just think you need to remember how powerful a friendship can be...

EDIT: I'd just like to point out to you, that there is a member on this board who is in the exact situation as you, except that he has already confessed his feelings. He has held onto his feelings for his friend for now over 8 years, and he has been stuck in the same situation for 8 years. His friend is now extremely comfortable with him, but at the end of the day, he only sees this person as nothing more but a friend. I just think that given the length of your friendship, something should have already happened...and usually if it was a closet case, the hints would be a lot more ambitious and obvious than just a few vague and nondescript text messages... sorry to rain on your parade as well, but this applies to you as well NoClue

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2014 at 04:56 AM ----------

DOUBLE EDIT: i just realised that this is an old thread, so sorry for digging this back up. I'm sure though that the poster has most likely asked him... I would be curious to know how it went.

#13 Mystory, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  14. jazzcourse

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really appreciate you writing this. It is the damn truth.

I have been lurking on this site for like a year, and your post just motivated me to register. I think I finally need to write my own post, but I feel like it will almost just be re-emphasizing what you've said with my own details. More people need to hear this with their heart and head and everything else. I am pissing my life down the drain.

Thanks again. Wise words.

I second your curiosity about happened. Hope Weasley is doing alright...

15. Weasley93

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys. it's been a year ago almost to the date and vain curiosity led me back to this site. I WISH so badly I had the response of Mystory a year ago bc it would have saved me a lot of heartbreak. Mystory, you were absolutely right in almost everything you posted.

The end of the story is sort of happy. I came out to him, and he was an absolute angel about it. Still wanted to be friends and everything although he turned out to be straight. He confessed to having homosexual feelings in the past and whether or not that fueled our crazy summer I will never know bc he 100% rejects them currently. To this day he stands by his heterosexuality and I have come to accept and respect that..

The heartbreak however remained and it motivated me to branch out. I could not let something like that happen to myself again. After a failed attempt with a worker
    at a restaurant near my school (I simply left my number on the check after one convo--dumb I know) I decided to join ******. Yes ******... There were many sleezy people on there who just wanted to hook up and I admit I almost succumbed to desire that had been growing for almost a decade. But I held out a little longer and am proud to say I have been dating the most beautiful boy I have ever met. I love him inside and out and if it weren't for the emotional trauma I went through with that straight best friend I never would have met him. Our relationship is complicated---his family is ultra conservative and we have to be so cautious. But part of me knows that's what makes our relationship so strong. that we have to fight.

So thank you to all of you. and I wish the very best to everyone on here. cheers!

16. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry for the pain you went through. Even though I was in pretty much the same situation once upon a time, I really think the relationship you had with your friend was a lot closer, and probably more painful because of that.

but...

THAT IS SO CUUTTTEEEEE!!!!
    I'm so happy you've found someone. Did you find him on the app?
    I'm so happy for you, really!

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very happy for you! Really, coming out to oneself is the biggest hurdle, and some people just never come around. The guy you were crushing may have just been some slight bisexual and just "chose" to go with the straight life.