1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting my long distance girlfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Soddit, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I've been dating this girl in America for almost a year and we're going to meet this Tuesday (22nd) and I'm so excited and scared. I live in Canada and she's coming all the way here just to see me and I don't know how to react. I mean, it's been a year. We need to move forward in our relationship and my mom is all for it. I've just never done anything like this before, I was so scared getting into the relationship because distance is hard and I'm not very emotionally stable. But she's helped me and I'm better because of her.
    I live in a small town so I have to travel about 5 hours to get to the airport to pick her up and I don't know how I'm going to do it, I'm a really anxious person. I keep thinking she won't like me when we actually meet and she'll want to go home right away and I know it's kind of stupid to think that because it has been a year and she knows all my flaws and everything. She knows what I look like even at my worst. I know I shouldn't over think this and get all worried because I know she loves me, just as I love her but I've never been with anyone before. I mean I've dated before, but nothing ever so serious and I've never dated someone without having them there in person. I haven't even kissed anyone yet :eek:
    I don't know if she's expecting a kiss when we first meet or a hug or something, I don't know. She knows I've never kissed anyone and she gets that I'm scared and worried but I don't want to offend her if I don't.
    Also she's way shorter than me, I'm 5'11 and she's 5'4 and I've never hugged someone short..as awkward as that sounds, I don't know how :icon_redf
    Any advice, do you think it'll just be natural? Like when we meet I'll know what to do.
    I'm freaking out, oh god. I've never been so nervous over anything before :bang:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember the time I met my one and only girlfriend who started out as a long distance relationship!

When she got off the train everything just sort of fell into place. We laughed a bit, we hugged and if I recall correctly we kissed. I'm always a big fan of going for the hug first and seeing where it goes! Remember she's probably thinking something similar!

3. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so, I'm so nervous I'll scare her off if I'm too awkward. I hope things go well and it's not awkward the whole time she's here. She's staying for almost 6 months if everything goes good at the airport ^^

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have ended up befriending quite a few people online, and only meeting them after a friendship was firmly established. My boyfriend among those.

And, in my experience, if you've known each other for a bit, it's very hard to mess such things up. Yeah, you'll be nervous, but so will she! All of those fears you have, she'll be having too. And there tends to be a few moments of awkwardness in the first moment of meeting (which is this odd feeling of "so... here we are, now what?...")

But then, routine tends to take over. You're used to talking online, you have a whole array of topics, and it's easy to just continue a conversation like you would do online. Obviously a first question is going to be "so, how was the travel?" and going on from there.

On the kissing/hugging front, I am a fan of discussing that ahead of time. It's slightly unromantic to do so, but it makes for less awkwardness. For example, with one friend, I had agreed to hug ahead of time, while with my boyfriend, I had agreed to start with shaking hands, and only then seeing if kissing was going to happen (and since gentlemen don't kiss and tell, I'll not tell what happened after the handshaking :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Last, but not least: you've known her for a year. She's especially flying over to see you. You've probably both talked through this plan a thousand times. So by now, you both know what you can expect of each other. If she hasn't walked away online (which is damned easy to do), it's pretty much impossible she'll walk away when meeting you.

Always be safe, obviously, but don't hesitate to have fun!

5. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks!
    I met her and things are going great :slight_smile:
    It's better than I could have ever imagined. We just celebrated our one year together and it was great. I can't see myself without her in my life. It's weird thinking I only just met her because I feel like we've known each other in person forever.

6. oh my god I

That's so sweet. Happy for you!! :grin:

7. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome news! Gives us all hope!

9. Soddit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you :3

10. Tzoa

This is so sweet! It's great to hear people meeting online and having successful romantic relationships from it. I wish you two the best!