1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by angel626, Oct 17, 2013.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do any of you believe in gaydar. If it's something people actually have then I must not have it. I can never to tell if a person is gay or not. Maybe I can't tell because in my head it doesn't really matter if your gay or not if I like you then I'm going to be friends with you regardless of your sexual orientation. I will admit that the only time I get frustrated at the fact that I have no gaydar is when it comes to girls I start to like that's when I'm usually thinking "if only I had a gaydar".

Also how do you know if someone likes you? I'm so oblivious to how other people feel that my friends always make fun of me for not being able to tell. It's not my fault I can't tell it's not like I have al lot of girls lined up to date me.

Anyway gaydar and how to know if someone likes you; thoughts on both would be appreciated.

2. QueerQueen

You would think If gaydar was a thing, all homosexuals would have it. It would be nice if there was just some object you could buy and just use whenever you wanted to know if a girl or guy swung the same way you did or if every homosexual could wear a specific thing.

Not sure if it's my gaydar but I do get vibes from girls which helps me tell if they like girls or at least like me, I just look at there body language like how close they stand next to me, eye contact, how long they hug me for. Usually it works but most of time it's just wishful thinking.. I did know my brother was gay before he actually told me though.

Besides I don't really use it because when I like someone I just tell them and find out that way. I think there has only been one time when a girl has actually told me they like me without me having to ask or tell them instead and unfortunately she was heterosexual and I just made her question her sexuality. Too bad it wasn't easier..

3. Hrantou

It would be awesome if homosexuals had a built in radar to find each other. Like some animals who rely on senses to see if the animal next to them is a friend or foe. Sadly, Gaydar is a guessing game. One that I always seem to fail at.

4. UIOP

I really don't believe in gaydar at all. Before I came out as bi, pretty much everyone who knew me assumed I was gay for some reason. Around the time I came out and afterwards, people (who hadn't been told) were assuming I was straight. My parents actually looked surprised when I came out to them. So, the people who know me certainly don't have a gaydar, lol :wink:

5. NouvelleVague

Gaydar does exist! I have a friend who's kinda bicurious something and she could spot me before I did. But I can't tell if it's because she's kind of a lietome (She's learnt the books and all), and is quite good ... But she said that something went tilt when she saw me anyways Oo'. Too bad I don't seem to have one (Well, maybe I do, but not for femmes...)

And well... To know if someone likes you, get to now if they're gay first. Sometimes, straight girls are just very friendly ya know. Or curious, I don't know... Oo'
    Then it will depend on the person. If that person is shy, it's not going to be easy to spot these signs of affection, but if she's extroverted, it's going to be obvious as hell - she'll probably pay attention to you more in group situations, she'll try and spend time with you, she'll help you when she can. Well, you know, all that crushing clichés :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's less gaydar and more just being attune to things. Basically, I do think I'm pretty good at telling, but I keep it to myself most of the time. The reason I say I'm good is because back in high school, I had a very masculine friend who was a hockey player and always knew he was gay—he came out last year. I have a friend now with a girlfriend, but I know he's gay, just not ready to admit it—he flirts with me incessantly and accidentally (maybe lol) left a whole bunch of material up on his computer before letting me borrow it. There was a butch girl who everybody says was a lesbian, she's just butch—has apparently done well with guys at college. I have another friend who everybody thinks is gay, but I know he's bi, not gay. How do I know this?
    - Eye contact
    - Physicality
    - Inflection/Subject Matter during conversation
    - Sincerity when talking about respective sexes
    - Knowing families/situations
    And all of this equates to KNOWING the person. I think it's impossible to tell about somebody you don't know, but two of these were people I spend/spent a great deal of time with professionally, and the others are close friends. You've got to remove yourself, remove your own wishful thinking. As much as I want to have one particular person come out to me, I've got to just accept their across-the-room eye contact, suggestive comments, and flamboyant/homoerotic material until they're ready and open. Otherwise, speculation can lead to type-casting and stereotypes before you meet a person. So, basically, yes, gaydar exists, but only after you've known the person—not the gay.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

I think it's less gaydar and more just being attune to things. Basically, I do think I'm pretty good at telling, but I keep it to myself most of the time. The reason I say I'm good is because back in high school, I had a very masculine friend who was a hockey player and always knew he was gay—he came out last year. I have a friend now with a girlfriend, but I know he's gay, just not ready to admit it—he flirts with me incessantly and accidentally (maybe lol) left a whole bunch of material up on his computer before letting me borrow it. There was a butch girl who everybody says was a lesbian, she's just butch—has apparently done well with guys at college. I have another friend who everybody thinks is gay, but I know he's bi, not gay. How do I know this?
    - Eye contact
    - Physicality
    And all of this equates to KNOWING the person. I think it's impossible to tell about somebody you don't know, but two of these were people I spend/spent a great deal of time with professionally, and the others are close friends. You've got to remove yourself, remove your own wishful thinking. As much as I want to have one particular person come out to me, I've got to just accept their across-the-room eye contact, suggestive comments, and flamboyant/homoerotic material until they're ready and open. Otherwise, speculation can lead to type-casting and stereotypes before you meet a person. So, basically, yes, gaydar exists, but only after you've known the person—not the gay.

---------- Post added 18th Oct 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

- Eye contact
    - Physicality

7. ItalianBlueEyes

^^I've never heard a better explanation, pgame311. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It's all about the eye contact. A certain level of intensity = gay.

8. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha, thanks. That being said, sorry it posted 3 times.